Lead Flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Had some flashing replaced, does this look like a good job? Thought the flashing should follow the tile contours all the way but it's only partially done.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8841.jpg
    IMG_8841.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_8842.jpg
    IMG_8842.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 88
Sponsored Links
Ideally yes it should have more contact to the tile but as it is it will not leak. You could tell the roofer you want it beating into the channels a little more but chances are he will consider his work done and may ask for more money to do so. A decent roofer would have done a better job and so maybe his skill at leadbeating is limited and he didn't want to break any tiles.

Thank you @DAZB. Also another thing I see is that the overlap between pieces only seem to be about 5cm, about the same width as a contour.
I've attached more photos, it's a bit hard to see as I'm on the ground.
Would this be an issue?

Attachments

• IMG_8847.jpg
    IMG_8847.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_8848.jpg
    IMG_8848.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8849.jpg
    IMG_8849.jpg
    433.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_8850.jpg
    IMG_8850.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8851.jpg
    IMG_8851.jpg
    379.6 KB · Views: 77
The lap should generally be 100mm or more so that is a bit lacking but could possibly never be an issue... or it could leak next week. The side laps are certainly too short and will not stop water getting to the verges which need repointing also. If you are getting him back then increase the laps on both ends and the mid joint and beat down the gap to the right of the mid joint lap so it doesn't look so bad.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all.

I rechecked today and it does seem to be about 7,5 and 11cm going left to right.

How long should the side lap over the verges be?

Does this mean having to buy lead to cut at least one new sheet, with the left three being reused or is it best to start from whole new lead for all sheets?

I will ask him back to fix.

I have to say that in my present house (only two years) I have a very similar lean to extension but the lead is not really wide enough - it's about 90 mm. With what one might call normal rainfall, there is no problem but if there is a combination of heavy rain and a southerly strong gale the rain is driven up under the lead and we get a leak in a couple of places. The extension faces south of course. If I ever get it done again, I would want 150 mm width of lead over the tiles to obviate the problem. In the meantime I have managed to jam some roof sealer between the lead and the tiles which helps a bit and I suspect it might have been better to use good old Bostik Flashband as my neighbour has done on his lean to garage but not sure of the life of it.

I will ask him back to fix.
Is it broke though? If the lower lead of an overlap is beaten into the tile channel there is no way the water entering the side will flow across and up the channel

In the meantime I have managed to jam some roof sealer between the lead and the tiles which helps a bit and I suspect it might have been better to use good old Bostik Flashband as my neighbour has done on his lean to garage but not sure of the life of it.

I used it on the chimney, 25 years ago, as an extra layer of flashing - when I mistakenly assumed my chimney flashing had a leak. I was wrong, it was the flaunching of the pots, which was leaking, but the point is - that Flashband in still in good condition.

It works well, where there is little movement between surfaces, to accommodate. Where there is movement, it will eventually crack/lose adhesion .

Is it broke though? If the lower lead of an overlap is beaten into the tile channel there is no way the water entering the side will flow across and up the channel
Playing devil's advocate here - to get every channel covered all the way with lead it has to be bossed - bringing lead from the peaks to the hollows - then straightening the upstand ( the lead has to come from somewhere so it will thin slightly ) As a plumber I could have done it , but wold have explained to the customer. I would have probably done it a couple of inches more .But as robinbanks said it does the job. ;)

Playing devil's advocate here - to get every channel covered all the way with lead it has to be bossed - bringing lead from the peaks to the hollows - then straightening the upstand ( the lead has to come from somewhere so it will thin slightly ) As a plumber I could have done it , but wold have explained to the customer. I would have probably done it a couple of inches more .But as robinbanks said it does the job. ;)

We tend to aggressively dress the very edge of the lead down onto the tile troughs. The rest gets a light battering. This way the lead isn't weakened and the critters cant get in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back