Lead pipe please help

Nope, my best advice, on my original post
Ultimately I'd be finding out where the supply comes from and get that turned off.

The flattening of pipe is where there is a mains pressure leak, water everywhere, cannot turn it off, panic stations..... then you flatten the pipe.

If you are on top of it, have the time and the leak isn't destroying everything then it's time to investigate where it comes from, get it turned off, cut it back as far as is reasonably possible without costing you hundreds of pounds and then get a lead loc or plasson lead fitting and cap it off.

You haven't said if you are decommissioning this service or not?

Sponsored Links
If you can get 2ft of pipe to play with then clamp the end or hammer it flat and bend it over on itself a few times un til the water stops.You can then freeze the pipe before the flattened part then cut and put a fitting on.I used to have a lead pipe clamp that consisted of two pieces of metal and two bolts that you tightened and it clamped tight and done the job.You could try a G clamp and two pieces of wood.Whatever you do it sounds as though you will need more pipe visable than you have at present.

Ok ill try it tomo. Its in the corner of the room so its hard to get to. Whats the best pipe freeze to use for this

Sponsored Links
Decommissioning - I.E. You no longer need this pipe, given it's an old outside toilet and it won't be used again, so it's decommissioned.

So you have removed the toilet bowl and now have reasonable access albeit just a short length coming from the floor?

Is this a terraced house?

Have you checked there are no street stopcocks supplying adjoining houses or previous supplies that could turn it off?

Most, but not all, supplies do have a street or just inside the boundary stopcock.

Freezing only works if there is no flow.

Could the lead pipe run through your house under the floor?

Tony

Heres one

Attachments

• 20150727_094723.jpg
    20150727_094723.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 114
As you mentioned, if that pipe comes in from outside then you'll need to head outside and dig to find out roughly where it comes from and see if you can find access to an external isolator on that line, failing that to give you enough pipe to work on it properly.

Had a plumber on it. He found the isolater (down the other end of the road) hit it flat soldered it and now its all sorted. So thanks everyone for your help

Depends on how it's been repaired. If it hasn't been wipe soldered or slow soldered using lead bar and proper flux and then plugged by someone that's experienced with lead then yes it could. If it had been turned it off then a proper lead fitment and cap could have been used IMO.

People have told you the "right thing" to do a few times now: trace the pipe back to wherever it tees off another supply, and cap it off there. What you have at the moment is at best a medium-term fix. No, don't just bury it! Get your spade out and start digging!

Is the elec cable that runs under the lead stub disconnected and tested?

What do you mean by "the other end of the road"?
Did the plumber have to shut off the street or did the "road" isolator only stop your supply?

What did the plumber say about leaving a dead leg? Its only cold water but its still not a healthy practice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back