Lead Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just finishing putting down my new oak flooring in my bungalow and found a lead pipe leading into the kitchen. I've looked under the kitchen units and it looks like the mains water is feed through lead pipe. The thought of ripping up my lovely new floor, kitchen and bathroom (not to mention the driveway outside) is enough to send me over the edge! However we were thinking of replacing our driveway in the future so I wondered if I can lay a new pipe from the main stopcock under a new drive and down the side of the bungalow into the kitchen.
Please say I can........

Sponsored Links
Yes you can but you will need to follow regs such as 750mm depth etc.
Ask your water company for advice as they may wish to inspect before connecting. :D

It gets even better, littlevic. :D

If you replace your existing lead pipework from the boundary of your property at least to your kitchen sink, the water company may be willing to replace their lead pipe from mains to your property boundary free of charge. Ask them if they have a lead replacement scheme.

Not only would that eliminate any risk of lead pollution of your water supply, but the increase in pipe diameter (to 25mm poly) would greatly improve flow rates, particularly if you have (or plan to have) a combi or unvented hot water system.

Sponsored Links
I love this forum.
Thanks Chris, as it happens we do have a combie boiler. I'll get on to the water board this week and update this forum thread.
Cheers.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just got off the phone to three valleys water and the man he say no.
Never mind, I'll probably do it when we replace our driveway.

please note 10a which is here

The man say no as they will not pick up the bill. It is down to you as the pipe is your responsibility and don't expect too much change out of 1 K if you employ somebody to do it for you.
:cry:
The water company will have a leaflet which they will send out explaining all etc. :D

Bahco said:
It is down to you as the pipe is your responsibility
Not the supply pipe from the mains to the property boundary, which is what he was asking about. That is the water company's responsibility.

All the water authorities have similar rules. I am laying a new 25mm plastic pipe from kitchen to boundary. Water Authority will after satisfying themselves that all requirements have been met, will run a new pipe from mains pipe to new boundary stop cock and and connect my pipe. My Water Authority are carrying out their work free of charge.
I am responsible also for cutting and blanking off the existing lead supply.
An estimate for the whole job was around £950. My material costs come to approx £50. £10 of this is for 1.5 metre of insulation (armaflex )The trench is 4.5 metres long, depth varies from 800 mm to 1000 mm.
Trench and pipe is being inspected later this week. connection follows in 3 weeks
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

littlevic said:
Just finishing putting down my new oak flooring in my bungalow and found a lead pipe leading into the kitchen. I've looked under the kitchen units and it looks like the mains water is feed through lead pipe. The thought of ripping up my lovely new floor, kitchen and bathroom (not to mention the driveway outside) is enough to send me over the edge! However we were thinking of replacing our driveway in the future so I wondered if I can lay a new pipe from the main stopcock under a new drive and down the side of the bungalow into the kitchen.
Please say I can........

Get it moled in, done in no time at all and doesn't destroy anything. Last one I saw done a couple of years ago cost 350.

Yes well worth looking at moling, but much scratching of chins if there any drains going across, or gas or electric.
Blokes from particular countries seem to be amazingly fast at doing it with a shovel!

Thanks again chaps. We'll probably get our drive done sooner or later so that'll kill two birds with one stone and save a few pennies while we're at it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back