Lead Pipes (gas and water)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so we had someone out to quote for installing a boiler today, he took one look at the lead pipe coming into our flat, and said he'd have to cap off the meter before he left (which he duly did). The lead pipe enters the flat and is the joined to some 15mm copper and then some 22mm copper.

He said that we will need to replace the pipe right back to the meter (or possibly just back to where it starts being lead, as the bit coming from the meter - which is in an old barrel store under the footpath outside the front of the building - is in copper, and it must just change to lead once it has entered the building).

I've read back through a few posts on here, and it seems there's nothing illegal about the lead pipe, as it was an existing installation (the newest post was from about a year ago, so things may have changed); however, I suspect it would need replacing anyway, as someone else (who quoted over the phone) said there would need to be a 22mm supply from the meter to the boiler. Also, reading about the possibility of it degrading, being easily damaged or melting in a fire worries me, so I'm happy to have it replaced.

It's a bit of a pain, as the existing pipe is plastered in in the flat below, so a different route would be required. Being a listed building, running it externally will probably require permission, and internally might too. Running internally would also require it to be routed along the hall then up the side of the stairs, so as to avoid other flats.

Also, the gas supply pipe for the flat above also goes through our flat, and is also lead - should I try and get them to replace it? would there be any point in getting the section running through our flat replaced with copper?

Finally, the water supply into the flat is also lead. Again, up to the building it is not lead, and so must change to lead at some point once it has entered the building. Would you advise getting this replaced to or is a, relatively, short length of lead pipe (up two floors in the building) probably not too much of a risk? Would water filters be sufficient to remove any dangers of lead from drinking water?

Sorry, I realise this is a bit of a rambling posts with vague questions scattered throughout, I'm just kind of looking for opinions on it really from any experienced plumbers and Corgi folks out there.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you need a new gas pipe. The route you take is up to you and the plumber. As for the lead water pipe i have not heard of lead fillters but there might be some out there that claim to work

I don't think your plumber should have capped off the meter and left you with no gas if the present installation is safe; it's existing and therefore not a problem. I'd say get someone else in when you get the work done if you're not already committed.

Almost all modern domestic boilers require a 22mm gas supply, as Andy said the routing of this is up to you and the plumber, and possibly LBC as well.

As for your water main, I've never come across a lead filter. If it's just internal I'd say do away with it if at all possible.

No need to replace lead unless it leaks (gas pipe) and he was wrong to cut you off unless he had done a drop test and found a leak. However if you are having a new boiler and the supply pipe is inadequate then the replacement would obviously be in copper.

If the pipe is too small cus he wants to fit a combi then dont fit a combi!

As for your lead water pipe if you have relatively hard water the pipe will have a layer of lime scale inside protecting you from the lead so no need to wory about lead poisoning.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I should have said that the flat is currently empty, as it's undergoing renovation, so we weren't using the gas anyway. One of the main reasons he gave for capping it was he was concerned that a workman might damage the pipe, he did a leak test, and it passed, but he said he'd cap it anyway for safety. He did, however, seem quite keen to say things were illegal though (but they did look quite dodgy to me too).

According to Severn Trent (and my own experience - the tea from the kettle at work always had crunchy bits in) the water in Leamington is is very hard. So is there no need to worry? (we do have a toddler, and a baby due next week). Filters such as this one claim to remove lead and other heavy metals. I'll probably get a filter fitted to the kitchen tap anyway, as the water tastes fairly fowl as it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back