Lead Valley Replacement -

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have leaking lead valley, which needs to be replaced. I've had two contractors give me a quote - one seems to be giving me a Rolls Royce solution, but for almost twice the cost of the other guy. I want the job to last many years, but don't want to pay extra if the expensive guy is unnecessarily over-engineering the solution.

Standard contractor - cost £1,000 - slates out from both sides of valley, replace with code 4 lead, put tiles back on.

Expensive contractor - cost £2,000 - many more tiles out from both sides of valley (including ridge tiles), install breathable membrane, replace laths, replace valley with code 5 lead, put tiles and ridge tiles back on.

Both seem like honest guys. Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
- is it slates or tiles ? can you post a picture ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys - I'm guessing the difference in cost between code 4 and code 5 is minimal (maybe £50). The main difference in cost between the two contractors seems to be around the extent of re-slating (and re-lathing) that's required. Any thoughts on how necessary that normally is for lead valley replacements?

It's very necessary if you want it done properly.
Tiles you lift out whereas every slate is nailed twice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back