lead water main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i want toput a concrete floor in my kitchen,there is a lead water pipe coming in from the street through thefloor cavity, if i put a cover over the pipe, leaving access to a stop cock, is it ok to concrete over? cheers

Sponsored Links
Regardless of whether you change the lead pipe for something more modern (Blue MDPE pipe) or leave it in situ, you will have to run the pipe through a continuous (unbroken) duct before pouring any concrete. This is both a regulatory requirement, but more importantly common sense.

As you will have to disconnect the lead at one end or the other to allow for the duct to be slid over, you may as well replace the section or whole pipe with Blue Poly.

Hope this helps

Obviously the lead should be replaced but I think that its possible to get split duct that can be fitted without cutting the pipe.

I never understand why people want to avoid doing jobs properly.

So many DIY jobs end up as DIY bodges!

Tony

Sponsored Links
thanks for all your advice, on both my questions, we are taking advice & changeing lead to blue poly,& useing deadlock compression fitting, thanks again, jim

Make sure it is in a duct in any part of the floor that is going to be solid. Regulatory requirement, also means if you have any probs in future you can just pull the old pipe out and slide a new one in...

thanks for advice boxbasher, understand why pie must be accessible,
to MR agile the reason i ask questions is to find out the correct way to do things, hence my use of this site, were you alway good at what you do ? or did you ,like me have to go through a learning period ????

I am always open to criticism ,sarcasm no thanks. I am not what my user name might seem to suggest to you, and a minority of other users, thanks , jim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back