Lead Water Pipe - Tricky Situation

If someone can categorically prove that a filter does the job, I'd be more than happy to consider investing in one - but I would want to see a proper explanation of how it does it.

Sponsored Links
Well Chuck, I certainly couldn't offer that explanation, as I maybe many things, but certainly not a chemist.
I have done a bit of searching myself and got into some heavy technical stuff about what's in our water supply, suggesting that even if you have plastic pipes you would still be better off with a filter, otherwise YOU become the filter.
I think you are doing the right thing, in replacing the lead with plastic.
Got any prices yet?
I am going down the road with my son of getting a purity check first to see exactly what the situation is before I make any decisions.

Cheers Ian

Okay, first quote in:

£1349 for new supply. Will be interesting to see what the second one is.

still no test results though.

That would work out at about £800 after VAT and grant from council. Not bad, or at least no worse than I was expecting.

Sponsored Links
Just had a phone call regarding the readings. PCV is 25ug/l, our reading is 4.1ug/l so the water is perfectly safe.

So no need to replace the supply, which is great news. However, would have been nice to get better water pressure, but not at the cost of £800!!

Thanks all for the advice and hopefully this thread will help others in a similar situation.

Hey, that's great news!
Given me hope my son's might be ok too, not that the other residents are concerned even though some have young children.
This may come in handy if you ever sell the house and this question comes up.
Regarding the pressure, you would think the water company would need to supply you with water ( which you are paying for) at a minimum pressure.
We had very low pressure, I mean almost a trickle in a previous house. The engineer told me the restriction would be at the takeoff in the middle of the road which would be furred up as it was an ancient pipe!
I think it was their resposibility to fix that but anyway we had to sell up owing to a relocation by the company I worked for.
Anyway that's fantastic more money for a good Christmas.

Cheers Ian

To be fair the pressure is generally fine, it just sometimes dips for say 10 miinutes (I think when the rest of the terrace are showering) and it makes the shower go really hot.

Cant complain tho :)

It has just dawned on me that the sample taken may not have been accurate.

See if you agree.

We were told to take water from the tap first thing in the morning, before anything else had run, to ensure that the water had been standing in the suspect pipe all night and thus will have taken on lead if present.

However, the amount of water taken will not have been enough to empty the internal copper pipe, so the water will have been standing in copper, not the lead pipe. I would have thought the tap should have been run for 30 seconds to a minute to empty the copper and get the potentially bad stuff.

Think it should be tested again.

Well Yeah, that makes sense. Although I suppose it does show that even although the water has run through the lead pipe it is ok and would prove that if you run water in the morning before use you will be ok.
But yes I do agree. I would take another sample the way you suggested.
Did you send it away? Or did someone come from Scottish Water?

I took it (at 6am) and then they collected it.

They will be out with new bottles tomorrow.

Excellent service I have to say.

Last update to this one:

Second lot of water test results are back in and they are lower than the first.

Very odd, but it seems that if there is lead pipe in place, it's not causing a huge issue.

We'll continue to run the taps in the morning, just to be safe, but there is clearly no case for replacing the supply.

Thanks again for all the help on this one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back