Leak around chimney/roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have been renovating our house for a while now and recently builders noticed that we were getting wet patches in our loft after heavy rain which they have advised was coming from the chimney. We spoke with builder today he has had someone round to take a look (we were not around) and I asked if the solution was leading/flashing as there currently isn't any (see photo). He stated that due to our type of chimney that has an apron you can't have this. He did add that its difficult to see where leak is and that it could be penetration into brick work and that masonry could be patched up.

We are pretty green to these things, can anyone explain to me about flashing, is it right that we can't have it?

View media item 78379

Sponsored Links
What you have is an old way of attempting to use stone as a flashing, and as a quaint design feature - it invariably fails and actually introduces moisture into the stack.

At the base of the stack you have sand and cement in a large concave fillet (presumably, this is being called "an apron")- this method will always eventually crack and split, and also introduce moisture into the stack, and through the roof slates.

The sand and cement flaunching at the top of the stack is looking degraded, and there is soot discolorisation on the top stone course.

Lead flashing can be fixed but it would involve cutting the traditional projections, and removing all the S&C fillets.

Or, leave the projections and cover-flash them in - then remove the S&C fillets and flash below the projections with soakers and cover flashings.

Given the state of the stack i think that its due for a re-build - but it would be best done in conjunction with a complete re-roofing.

Your gutter is full of vegetable debris.

Whoever goes on the roof must use ladder stand-offs because the gutter brackets and the gutter itself will be very frail. Work on the roof itself must be from a roof ladder or further slates will slip.

great thanks for explanation, I hope we can get this fixed without getting roof redone. FYI we are waiting for a quote to renew guttering

You can get it fixed without re-roofing but the roof is obviously due for renewal.

You could also simply lead flash the stack but whether that would stop all moisture penetration is questionable?

Temporary fixes over a period typically cost more than the whole job.

Sponsored Links
As Ree said, you could add a lead flash to the stack but regardless, would it stop all moisture penetration is questionable?

My personal thoughts, it wouldn't stop all moisture penetration due to the nature of your current chimney/roof but would most likely slow down any damage being made and minimise the amount of moisture seeping through.

Though I must agree, it looks like your roof is due a renewal very soon (it is a pain due to it costing so much but it saves you a lot of future hassle. Temporary fixes are never permanent ((it's in the name!)) )

Good luck and if you can keep me updated with your current situation it would be much appreciated.

Regards, Jack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back