Leak in sealed c/h system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new gaff has a sealed system which had a leaky pressure relief valve that I've now fixed. Problem is I've been continually topping up and today checked the gauge and ..... 0bar! As there was still water in the rads upstairs I'm guessing the problem's downstairs and the rads upstairs are holding onto some water beacuse of the vacuum in them. I can't find any visible leaks and given the speed with which the pressure now falls if I top up it's got to be a reasonable amount of water. Nightmare scenario is that it's in the concrete floor. If so how on earth do I find it???? Please help, it's getting very cold!

Sponsored Links
As there was still water in the rads upstairs
How do you know that? If water came out when you opened the air vents, then the pressure downstairs is DEFINITELY NOT 0 Bar!

If the rads upstairs were 'airlocked', with a vacuum 'holding in the water', when you opened a vent air, would go into the rad, not water come out.

Sounds like there's more to this than meets the eye.

But if you have got a leak under a solid floor, it could be a b***er to find.

Quote:
As there was still water in the rads upstairs

How do you know that?

Quite simply because they were still getting hot!

Didn't try opening bleed valve but I'm pretty sure they would have sucked air rather than blown.

Sponsored Links
OK - I'm guessing you've got a sealed system with a separate pressurisation control, gauge etc. and the boiler is NOT a combi and does NOT have its own pressure or flow switch.

Just to cheer you up: I'm aware of a VERY expensive house in Westminster which has a serious leak believed to be under the basement floor which so far (6 months at least!) has defied all atttempts to find it.

Have you tried pumping it up to (say) 2.5 Bar and listening for the leak? You might be able to hear the slight hissing noise by listening to the pipes (stick a big screwdriver against a pipe and put your ear against the end of the handle).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back