Leak on overflow pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if anyone can help on this at all please?

My flat has three overflow pipes: two at the front and one at the side. The one on the side is leaking.

I had a plumber out and he checked the toilet and that seemed to be fine. I have a pressurised cylinder and we ran some water out and that didn't seem to do anything (I think the overflow pipes at the front are for that). We also ran the taps and that didn't do anything.

Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be please?

Sponsored Links
The 'bloke' you had out was not a plumber, a plumber would of found what the overflow was from.

Call out a plumber.

Andy

Did this "plumber" charge you for NOT finding the cause of the overflow?

Tony

plus unless he holds the G3 cert he shouldn't have touched your pressurised cylinder

Sponsored Links
Question for the pros - is it possible/likely that there is a FE tank for central heating(which would presumably explain the source of the overflow) or does a pressurised cylinder mean that the CH is a sealed system along with the HW?

No he didn't charge.

It stopped when I got up, but after having a shower and the toilet it has started again...

I assume it is mine, but have phoned up the management company to see if they can provide me with the plans of the flat.

There are three overflow pipes, but no one seems to be able to work out what is causing this. I have just had another plumber out who can't see where it is coming from either.

I know a push button toilet would overflow into the pan, but would it be that? Or the level of the water in the pan?

I have looked at the toilet cistern and it isn't going above the level or letting more water in.

My only other thought would be the washing machine and cleaning the filter on that.

Question for the pros - is it possible/likely that there is a FE tank for central heating(which would presumably explain the source of the overflow) or does a pressurised cylinder mean that the CH is a sealed system along with the HW?

no the heating can be o/v with a unvented cylinder as the two are totally seperate, it's just if people are going to the cost of replacing a vented cylinder then they tend to go sealed system on the heating as well

you could always try adding some different colour food dye to anything you can find with an overflow to see if the pipe you can see starts producing coloured water.

Tried putting food colouring in the toilet cistern and couldn't see anything coming out. I am going to put some gel down the kitchen sink and bathroom sink to see if it is a blockage in the soil pipe.

Really confused! Tundish is still dry, so don't assume it is the cylinder. Must be one of the sinks or a blockage somewhere on a pipe that builds up every now and again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back