leak on washer installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone! Not a complex prob but i'm not too clever on plumbing.

Currys came to fit a new dishwasher and washing machine at the weekend. Awful they were, actually forgot to connect the washing machine up to the water before turning on first off!
Anyway we have a hot and cold supply whcih was connected to the old washing machine and both the new washer and dishwasher only needed cold so i left them a Y piece.
Firstly they said the waste water pipe on dishwasher didn't reach so need to be extended (Fair enough) and secondly that the y piece was leaking and that the plastic ones are rubbish so ishould get a metal one.
Couldn't find any metal ones so bought a new plastic one to fit last night - maybe it was me but i'm sure it was fit properly when i turned the water back on but it leaked three ways! So can you get metal ones or should i try again with some ptfe?
When i cleaned up the mess i made i could still hear dripping - i found this to be coming from the joint on the hot water branch, which i hadn't touched. I thought maybe the currys guys had desturbed it days earlier so tried nipping the olive up a touch which did lessen the drip but not stop it. I thought maybe the joint hadn't had pressure in it for a while due to hot being connected so i connected it to the dishwasher which seems to have stopped it for now.
Is my only option to take the hot water pipe branch out and how difficult is it?
Cheers,
Jonny

Sponsored Links
But that will still leave the t piece joint leaking i think? Where the hot supply branches up off from the main hot pipe, the joint of the two pipes leaks when there is nothing connected ie washing machine to the hot end.
Don't want to overtighten just in case of stripping or cracking the pipe.
Ta :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks.
Any ideas about the y piece problems i've had? Is plastic usually ok?

Shut hot water supply off and remove that Tee completely so that you only have hot tap on the end of it. That will get rid of the leak too.

Don't worry about Y pieces. The washing machine doesn't have a hot connection, maybe that gives a clue that it doesn't need it! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back