Leak thru tiles

Just a quicky.

Has a water proof membrane been put onto the wall prior to tiling. A standard cement based grout will alow the water to pass through and soak into the back ground. The only way to stop this is to use a tanking system on the back ground, or use an epoxy grout. Both would be used in the ideal world.

:LOL: Ty

Sponsored Links
2 part epoxy grout is difficult to deal with though. (well for a mere DIY'er like myself) once it's gone off, then you need an angle grinder to get it off. U*ib*nd do a grout that is specifically designed for power showers. But as BAHCO already regrouted, best wait for the verdict :).

I had already suggested he use BAL superflex which is OK for powershowers.

Jason

The verdict is ................LEAK :evil:
The one corner seems to be fine but the other corner is still giving me grief.
I will as Jason say seal from the outside of the screen and report back tomorrow.
Can you explain the waterproof membrane as I have never heard of that.
Maybe I should have pva the wall prior to fixing tiles.
I do feel that it is not the grout that is the problem as I have sprayed the whole wall and it seems to be only the corner that is the problem.
Thanks to all for your interest and watch this space :)

Sponsored Links
Bacho

Did you seal the area of tray just under the screen frame before fitting the screen?

Water can enter between the wall profile and screen frame and will work its way to the bottom. That is why you should seal the outside so any water running down the metal will flow towards the inside of the tray.

Jason

Jasonb said:
Bacho

Did you seal the area of tray just under the screen frame before fitting the screen?

Jason
I didn't but anything that doesn't move will be sealed :evil:
Thanks and post tomorrow with good news :D

Are you ready for it............SUCCESS :D
I believe the new grout and sealing the cubicle from outside has cured the problem. This must have been leaking since shower was installed :oops: and has taught me a valuable lesson.
Thanks to all you guys for your interest and your help :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back