Leaking at bottom of pitched roof Keylite windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for possible DIY remidies with a roof leak. My house is a 2019 new build from Barratt Homes. The ground floor pitched roof has two Keylite windows.

About a year after I moved in, I noticed a couple of small (<10mm diameter) plaster blowouts under the corners of each window. I assumed it was just a nailpop and patched it up. But 4 years later and with a lot of rain this winter, large water stains have appeared in the same places, near the bottom corners of the window. There is no dripping from the inside or around the window itself, so it must be coming through the roof.

If I lift the one of the tiles, there is a strip of soggy foam material with some moss growing. I'm not sure if the corrugated apron at the bottom is doing its job either or whether it's meant to be fully stuck down.

I have contacted a roofer but they failed to turn up twice and then quoted over the phone having said they drove past the house and after I described it as a "leak under the velux style window". They said £460 to reseal the window or £3000 to replace it, which I doubt is the problem. Also, the 10 year new build warranty doesn't cover work under £2000. I’m hoping it won’t cost this much anyway.

Any one can suggest what might be wrong? If not, how can I more accurately describe this job for a roofer?

Attachments

• IMG_1736.JPG
    IMG_1736.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1927.jpg
    IMG_1927.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1929.JPG
    IMG_1929.JPG
    396.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1931.JPG
    IMG_1931.JPG
    315.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1932.JPG
    IMG_1932.JPG
    291.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1933.JPG
    IMG_1933.JPG
    281.3 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1936.JPG
    IMG_1936.JPG
    291.8 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Looking for possible DIY remidies with a roof leak. My house is a 2019 new build from Barratt Homes. The ground floor pitched roof has two Keylite windows.

About a year after I moved in, I noticed a couple of small (<10mm diameter) plaster blowouts under the corners of each window. I assumed it was just a nailpop and patched it up. But 4 years later and with a lot of rain this winter, large water stains have appeared in the same places, near the bottom corners of the window. There is no dripping from the inside or around the window itself, so it must be coming through the roof.

If I lift the one of the tiles, there is a strip of soggy foam material with some moss growing. I'm not sure if the corrugated apron at the bottom is doing its job either or whether it's meant to be fully stuck down.

I have contacted a roofer but they failed to turn up twice and then quoted over the phone having said they drove past the house and after I described it as a "leak under the velux style window". They said £460 to reseal the window or £3000 to replace it, which I doubt is the problem. Also, the 10 year new build warranty doesn't cover work under £2000. I’m hoping it won’t cost this much anyway.

Any one can suggest what might be wrong? If not, how can I more accurately describe this job for a roofer?
What is the roof pitch?

You can measure the angle with your phone on the vaulted ceiling just to confirm. Either a level app or measure on IOS

Sponsored Links
Also, try and lift the sag out of the bottom apron (as well as curl the edges as shown). We sometimes slide a batten underneath to take the sag out.
Thanks for the suggestions. I assume the white, underside parts in your photos are curled up flashing as well? I can't actually see if there's any excess flashing on mine or if there's any lip to stop water running down the sides. The apron edge appears to be flush against the side of the tray - IMG_1933.JPG.

As far as I can access, I've curled up the bottom right edge of the apron (only the corrugated bit that hangs below the window), just to see if that helps during the next rainfall. I guess if it doesn't, it's possible it's coming from higher up.

I can't access the other sides or raise the sagging without lifting all the tiles anyway, so will need a professional roofer. How should I describe the job? I don't think it's a £3000 window replacement!

It's a redland Cambrian slate. These are meant to be good to 15 degrees likewise keylite.
The pitch looks lower to me from the picture.
Some slates will need stripping out from the top down , they are not easy to remove.

Technically I'd say it should be a slate flashing kit! But under 20 degree's !
Not a fan of Cambrian. Not even sure they should be fitted that low with roof penetrations...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back