Leaking CH drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Opened our CH drain to drain the system and now it won't fully close. I've fitted a new drain elsewhere on system so happy to bung this old one up, any tips?

Photo from before I opened it.

Attachments

• PXL_20230130_000741812.jpg
    PXL_20230130_000741812.jpg
    491.7 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
You don't need to remove the drain cock from pipework to renew seal and O rings ,but you will need to drain water down. You just unscrew the knurled ,circular,part to remove the inner spindle .

Sponsored Links
You don't need to remove the drain cock from pipework to renew seal and O rings ,but you will need to drain water down. You just unscrew the knurled ,circular,part to remove the inner spindle .
OK system is now drained so will give a go thank you

I can't find anywhere to screw off, so would like to just remove it and plug the 15mm pipe it connects to. Any desoldering tips in a tight space? I have a fairly cheap soldering iron and heat gun in the garage

Neither of them will heat the fitting enough to remove.
Clean up the drain cock and show us a close up picture ,in sharp focus, of it.
There are other soldered joints near that draincock in all probability ,remove some insulation so we can see clearly

Neither of them will heat the fitting enough to remove.
Clean up the drain cock and show us a close up picture ,in sharp focus, of it.
There are other soldered joints near that draincock in all probability ,remove some insulation so we can see clearly

In trying to tighten it to stop the leak from the spout I've rounded off the plug and it leaks a little from there now as well as the spout, so would you agree removal and capping seems the most viable answer?

Attachments

• PXL_20230201_140047506.jpg
    PXL_20230201_140047506.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 46
  • PXL_20230201_144424361.jpg
    PXL_20230201_144424361.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Undo the " plug" ,the square shaped bit, fully anticlockwise. And remove it from the body completely.
Now you have shown us a clearer pic ,it's a different type of draincock to first thought. Nevertheless it can be resealed.

It's a type B draincock by the way and just needs one seal to replace and then screw it back in.

Undo the " plug" ,the square shaped bit, fully anticlockwise. And remove it from the body completely.
Now you have shown us a clearer pic ,it's a different type of draincock to first thought. Nevertheless it can be resealed.
OK will try

OK it's out. Can I simply replace the bit I've removed as not confident it will fully tighten now it's rounded. Perhaps with this?

Attachments

• PXL_20230201_151256352.jpg
    PXL_20230201_151256352.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 44
Yes ,probably. I have never tried to buy just that part on its own. Buy a new draincock and just use that part.
The rubber washer on yours is badly mashed up ,make sure some of it is not left inside stuck to the fittings mating surface. If it is you will need to clean it up or the new one probably won't seal

Yes ,probably. I have never tried to buy just that part on its own. Buy a new draincock and just use that part.
The rubber washer on yours is badly mashed up ,make sure some of it is not left inside stuck to the fittings mating surface. If it is you will need to clean it up or the new one probably won't seal
Would prefer to take it out but how would I desolder to remove it?

You may regret doing so. But if you must, you need a blow torch , preferably MAPP gas ,and whilst heating the fitting would need to keep the other fittings right next to it cool ,or you would desolder those too. You then need to solder in a short piece of pipe and cap .
Much easier to sort out the draincock !!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back