Leaking Cistern

S

Shutpa

Just fitted a new siphon but water is escaping down the sides of the pipe. The new rubber washer doesn't seem to be doing its job and if I tighten the nut any more I may strip the thread. Can I use sealant or is there something else I can do to stop the leak.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that but I was looking for something to stop the water from inside the cistern. Do they have such a product.

You apply it to the washer on the inside of the cistern. It stops leaks :LOL:

Sponsored Links
would the fernox work for a doughnut washer that leaks a little when re-assembled after changing a siphon?

Cheaper to buy a new doughnut.

The doughnut washer is new and came with the fitting kit. The water is leaking down the sides of the cistern exit (flush?) pipe. I put the old washer on the inside of the cistern and the leak is not nearly as bad.

I stood the detached cistern on two wooden blocks filled it and can see the water escaping from behind the plate i.e. where the siphon exits the ceramic. The new washer that came with the syphon doesn't work at all and as I said above, the old one is a lot better but there is still a leak (about a mug full overnight).

This is why I want to use some sort of sealant on the inside.

Put a bead of silicone around the donut. Job done. :D

Use good quaity like Dow Corning.

Put a bead of silicone around the donut. Job done. :D

Assuming that the doughnut is the large washer that the cistern sits on, the water is leaking from the securing plate above this which is why I feel the seal should be made on the inside.

If you can see water escaping from the cistern with it removed from the WC then the problem is with the syphon washer.

No water should exit the cistern unless the syphon operates. Obviously.

I have never know L-SX to fail in situations like yours, but I'm sure that silicone will work as previously suggested.

If you can see water escaping from the cistern with it removed from the WC then the problem is with the syphon washer.

Thank you for that. I can see the water escaping and will take your advice. It could be a fault with the new washer which seems to be brick hard. Will I get L-SX at B&Q?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back