Leaking Conseratory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leak in my conservatory which looks like a fault in the roof so the builders came back and sealed everything they could.this has been going on for about 3 yrs trouble is it only leaks when its a s/w wind blowing the rain aginst the house. They now think that the rain maybe coming in through the outside skin of the cavity wall maybe through a air brick. How likley is this there is no damp in the room which ajoins the conservatory.

Sponsored Links
Very likely there is no cavity tray - because they only get fitted if leaks occur -like you have now. Sorry, but it`s a fact. Keeps the cost of conservatories down . Only when you get prevailing wind/rain like yours does it show. Same house- different elevation , it wouldn`t happen

Whats a cavity tray? The leak is only on a small part of the outside wall which is on the inside of the conservatory above the french doors which lead into the house. It seems to start dripping when the bricks (which are bare) cannot not hold anymore water.

Sponsored Links
basically a L shaped tray with the bottom of the l through the outer skin of brick. In fact what you describe seems like one fitted above the french door - doing it`s job - But there should be one right across above the conservatory where it meets the wall. Have a look in the Wiki on this site . I`m sure there is lots of info ;)

Whats a cavity tray? .

wallsection_with_cavity_tray.gif

Well from all the advice i'v had about my leak it seems there was no cavity tray fitted but there is one above my french doors which are inside my conservatory. Question what do i do now,the way the house is constructed i think it would be difficult to fit a cavity tray (not sure) .Would the builders come back and do it ,it's still under warrenty. Another suggestion was to fit a tray a kind of gutter inside the conservatory and run it to the side and that way,a friend told me he'd seen something simler, What do think?.

Providing the house is brick, fitting a few cavity trays is not that hard and really should have been done when opening up the wall into the conservatory. Retro-fitting is not that much more difficult than doing it in the first place the only problem being access and having to replace flashings etc.

If it's under guarantee then your sweet, if it by chance is not or they worm out of it making sure your pointing was really fresh and a few coats of silicone waterproofer would certainly help and may fix the problem but its a temporary job really and may not even work 100%

I don`t think they would come back under warranty. Maybe they should have offered the option of having one - but could have been undercut on price by someone telling you it`s not necessary :confused: . Like I say, if the wall is leeward you`d probably never need one . www.cavitytrays.co.uk

The fitting of c.t.'s is not something that a conservatory company will automatically quote for as this type of water ingress is relatively rare.

In fact the processes that are going on since the connie was fitted were going on before it was fitted. The connie people have done nothing wrong.

It is the brickwork that is at fault. The fact that you have created an internal space around defective brickwork is only a problem now because it is an internal space by default.

I would get a builder to rectify.

All of the above is based upon the assumption that it is a c.t. problem.

It reminds me of a similar problem locally. A connie was built adjoining a bungalow and the existing bungalow soffit was enclosed.

Prior to the connie being fitted the roof had leaked and would drip through the soffit.

This went largely unnoticed because it was outside. Once the connie was built the soffit became an internal element and the customer ranted. I was the middleman and used a hosepipe to demonstrate the problem.

In the end the customer had to pay.

Have seen this alot most d glazing firms don't fit c trays its not always an issue.If the original contractor will not fit foc and its down to you I would suggest a good coat of thompson water sealer on the whole wall.As the problem is water penetrating the outside brick skin travelling down untill it reaches the lintel and then finding a way out stopping the water penetrating can solve the problem I have known this to work and is far cheaper and less messy than fitting c trays so may be worth a go.
Choose a dry day and give the wall 2 even 3 coats.

I agree that the conservatory fitters aren't necessarily responsible for fitting trays but whoever opened up the wall into the conservatory is and should have done it.

Of course that is irrelevant if there were existing doors.

I would like to thank everyone who's taken time and trouble to reply to my problem.I have uploaded some photo's of my conservatory so you can see the problem i would have if i tried to fit a cavity tray, Maybe it would be better if i tried to weatherproof the render,What do think would the best solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back