Leaking Conseratory

after checking out your photo's i didn't realise the house (or at least the affected area was rendered, this kind of problem is normally associated with bare brickwork and in a lot of cases the rendering it would solve the problem providing its in good condition.

Are there any cracks in it?

Sponsored Links
Ah ha having seen pics I have to say it is most likely not a need for c trays,as the wall is rendered water sealer would not kake to the paint and although it might benefit from a coat of masonry paint I fear this will not solve you leak.
What you have is an ultralite 500 roof at a very low pitch and I can see a lot of silicone (not a long term solution to anything). It is more likely that wind is driving water up the roof under the flashing.Solving this might not be easy (without putting a new roof on).one thing I might suggest is putting a new flashing up using much wider lead, grind a slot in the wall above the step out (In the rendered part) tuck the lead in and dress it over onto the roof sheets.Once this is all neatly done tuck the nozzle of a tube of clear silicone between the lead and the roof sheet run a line of silicone along to stop water being driven up.Alternatively you could use double sided security tape (available from any d-glazing firm)to stick the lead to the roof sheet.
GOOD LUCK.

There are two cracks under the window they don't look to bad. I was thinking of putting some silcone in them before i paint it in the good weather in the summer.

Well as has been said the render makes it much less likely that there is water penetrating through although it is far from impossible. The key thing to work out is where the leak appears, If the water is running down the face of the brickwork immediately under the roof then what Dattwell says or a similar problem with poor sealing is the cause. I imagine this is probably the case.

If however the water doesn't run down the face of the bricks but rather seeps out from the reveal above the door then almost certainly a Cavity tray issue.
Does that make sense?

Get out a hose and direct it at the wall above the roof and give it a gentle but good soaking but make sure not to spray it on the roof directly, i.e let it run down the wall. Check out the leak situation after doing this and you'll know a bit better what's going on. P.S you might have to do it for a while :cry:

Sponsored Links
Just another symptom of things not being done "old school" so a few bob can be saved :rolleyes: Rendered or not . Things should be done right . I`m glad I don`t have to bother with it all anymore - I can just sit here in the warm , pontificating :LOL: ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back