Leaking conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a conservatory built but unfortunately it has leaked down the side of the wall to which it is attached.

Our house is an ex council house with concrete cladding as opposed to brick work and the people who put it up used the flashing that sticks flat to the wall as opposed to lead flashing.

Their excuse was that you can't use lead flashing unless you are putting it into brick work.

They have been back on countless occasions to rectify it but have not managed to sort the problem. Now the plaster is coming off the inside wall due to the damp and we are no closer to getting it sorted.

Any ideas? The people who put it up are now ignoring our calls, not calling back etc and we are left to sort this out on our own.

Sponsored Links
lazy bastards.. :rolleyes:

lead flashing is tucked into the brickwork and then the mortar re-applied..

they should have used a diamond blade and a grinder to cut a chanel into the concrete and then mortar it in..

coljack - thanks for the reply. i take it from what you have said that you think the flashing they have used is not good for the job and causing the problem.

As ColJack describes, but would use silicon instead of mortar, and copper nails to wedge it firmly in place.

B***y cheapskates - if they'd done it right in the first place it would have been cheaper than having to send people round to try to fix it, plus they'd still be getting positive recommendations from you.

If you want a good builder to put it right, I know someone I'd recommend (unrelated to me in any way, shape or form) who covers Manchester. Email me and I'll forward their details.

Sponsored Links
great dextrous, thanks for the reply. only found this site today so not sure what i'm doing with it - how do i email you?

great dextrous, thanks for the reply. only found this site today so not sure what i'm doing with it - how do i email you?
I will attempt to become your friend - you need to click on the friends (just below the welcome tab) and accept me. Then we can email.

Our house is an ex council house with concrete cladding as opposed to brick work .

Any chance of a photo? There may be more to this than simply chasing a lead flashing in.
If it's the type of house I'm thinking of ('cos the op's been in touch by email and I know the area), it will be cement rendered over blockwork, so chasing code 4 in will probably be the solution.

So not concrete cladding then - I`m with noseall thinking cladding like LARGE shiplap ( for want of a better description) System built . Un mortgageable at one time . There`s a name for them . Is it Airey , or summat like that :?:

NigeF - i bow to your superior knowledge. Howcome unmorgageable? Nothing was mentioned when we had the survey done.

NigeF - i bow to your superior knowledge. Howcome unmorgageable? Nothing was mentioned when we had the survey done.
Sorry if I alarmed you. Not intended :oops: There was an issue historically with a type of ex. council pre fabricated house, when the Right to Buy was in it`s early days.

I`m thinking cladding like LARGE shiplap ( for want of a better description) System built . Un mortgageable at one time . There`s a name for them . Is it Airey , or summat like that :?:

Exactly what i was envisaging.

noseall - i will try and get a photo up on this thing when i get a minute. thanks for keeping this going. We had part of the living room wall removed to put french doors in, and basically the wall is made of large concrete(?) blocks with a concrete outer face (sorry i am not a builder so don't know the technical terms). does this give you a clearer idea?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back