Leaking Corrogated Asbestos Garage Roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old concrete panel roof with a corrogated concrete roof, probably containing asbestos given the age. The roof has started leaking and, although it is getting on a bit, I'd like to get another 3 - 5 yrs out of the garage before funds allow removal and replacement.

Bearing this in mind, I'd like to fix the leak but easily and cheaply. I do not want to disturb the asbestos at all and I think the solution has to be as lightweight as possible as I'm not sure how much weight a panel structure can support as a roof. A paint on solution would not be suitable as the water is puddling in someone's previous fix attempt using corrogated felt.

So I'm trying to think of cheap DIY solutions that build over the existing roof but don't need fixing to the asbestos. The garage is approx 10ft wide by 20 ft long, slopes front to back and has wooden tops along both sides lengths. Ideas so far:

1) Poly carbonate sheets, as big as possible for ease of installation but would they sag too much? Corrogated peaks should help support.

2) Raise one side with full length of wood, run joists across the width to the opposite side at existing height to create a sideways slope. Install polycarbonate sheets or ply with felt across the joists and gutter down side and back. Might be too heavy or too much work though.

3) Screw down plywood spanning the width of the garage on to existing wooden edging. Corrogated peaks should help support the span enough for the felt on top. This seems quick and easy but not sure about the weight or how to nail felt down in the middle without risking my full weight on it.

Any other ideas much welcomed?

Also does a "new" (bodged) roof on an old, detached panel garage need to adhere to building regs?

Sponsored Links
Your proposed repairs may cost as much as a new Coraline roof, I feel......could you use a brush on solution such as Evercryl, from MKM, do you think, as a temporary fix?
If not, maybe the Coraline corrugations could match your asbestos sheets as they are now.
John :)

Brush on is not really viable due to the puddling and accessibility of the area where the leak is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back