Leaking Dormer window a roof leak or failed window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have lived in the house for 1.5 years but we had high winds and driving rain last night and woke up to water coming out of one of our attic bedroom dormer UPVC windows and down the wall, but from within the frame itself which has never happened before. The pictures below shows where the water was leaking out of from both inside the bedroom and from outside. We had window fitters out today to pop the glass but without going onto the roof they were unable to get the glass out but managed to get the beading out and the UPVC drainage holes etc looked fine. They were adamant it is a roof leak but there is 0 other signs of any sort of leak up there, ceiling and walls are painted white so would show easily. For now I have put sealant over that corner and will keep an eye on it. Can a roof leak cause water to enter a UPVC window frame as I always thought the leak would not have chance to get into the frame itself and present itself around the frame? I hopefully have a roofer coming out to have a look but surely if there is enough water to get into the frame there would be clear signs of a leak elsewhere like the ceiling? Or am i more looking at a failing window?

Attachments

• PXL_20231204_163921174~2.jpg
    PXL_20231204_163921174~2.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 59
  • PXL_20231204_155754792~4.jpg
    PXL_20231204_155754792~4.jpg
    345.4 KB · Views: 71
  • PXL_20231204_155900511~2.jpg
    PXL_20231204_155900511~2.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 49
Sponsored Links
I always thought the leak would not have chance to get into the frame itself and present itself around the frame?
Frames let water in, without fail. They're engineered to let it out again under normal conditions but sometimes extreme weather can overcome it. I wouldn't sweat it unless it happens persistently

Yes very true. If it happens again might try and take all the beading off whilst it's raining and see exactly where this water is coming in from. The top part of the beading was bone dry when I last removed it which makes me suspicious that it's a roof leak and the water entering from the top of the frame.

If you're struggling to locate you can consider some powder paint, chalk (chalk line) or even take a diamond grinder wheel to a brick and aim the dust plume at the frame, get it coated in dust and then reassemble. Water ingressing will leave tracks in the dust

Just remember, you shouldn't necessarily seal a frame up where you see water entering; it's relatively futile to try and prevent water coming into the frame, instead you ensure that strategically placed drain holes are free and clear to let it out again

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately I can't get access around the frame as the window doesn't open and the frame is embedded into the dormer walls so without carving into the wooden surrounds Its not possible. Ive got a roofer coming tomorrow so fingers crossed but nearly 100% sure it's a window fault rather than roof as no other signs of a leak apart from this slow leak through the corner of the beading.

the window doesn't open
Oh; it looks like it should from the pic - is it jammed or is it a fixed pane that just looks like it's an opener (no handle)?

Seems the slates on the dormer roof don't have much of an overhang. Perhaps water getting down the back of that triangle shaped decorative trim and whatever kept it out before has failed and now let's a bit of it behind the cladding and it's making its way onto the frame. See what your roofer says

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back