leaking overflow pipe & running the hot water tap to sto

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have a problem with an overflow pipe that juts out from the first floor of my 3 bedroom house. Most days now for the last few weeks, there is a steady stream of water emerging from this pipe onto the roof of our lean-to immediately below; always it seems, in the early hours of the morning. It's not just the noise which is disconcerting but the fact that so much water is being wasted and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
Flushing the toilet and running the cold water taps haven't made any difference to the rate of flow from the pipe. However, I have discovered that if I run the hot water tap for just a few minutes then the stream of water from the pipe soon stops. What is happening and how can I prevent the water from overflowing?

Sponsored Links
Fit a new ballvalve by the sound of it.

The pressure is higher at night, plus you are not using water, so the storage tank is overflowing, running the hot water drops the level to below the overflow pipe.

I would get up there whilst you can hear the noise, see what's going on in the tank, you will see the problem straight away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back