Leaking pipe - in concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a wet patch appeared on my carpet in the hallway. Warm and worse when the central heating is on. Cools down and not so wet when the heating is off. Bit of a clue I guess. The pipework for the downstairs rads goes in the concrete floor. How deep is it likely to be buried? Would you expect a leak to permeate the concrete upwards?

Wonder why it's suddenly given up the ghost. Had a powerflush last June but cr*p job done so company re-done it last Monday. Could the pressure/acids used in that have caused th eleak by finding a weak spot.

When this happens is there anythng I should look for (apart from the obvious leak of course) - i.e does anything else normally go wrong - does the leak generally spread and emerge in multiple places?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
possible its a weak joint etc but could also be badly insulated pipework and over time the screed has eaten at the copper.
if so then all the copper pipe in the screed floor will need replacing as it will just pin hole.
better if protected by conduit or layed in a pipe duct.

sounds like you need to get the hammer and chisel out.

I have dug up a couple of pipes in a concrete floor they were only laid under an inch of concrete.

Just do it very carefully, you can never tell where the top of the pipe is and its dead easy to nick the thing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I checked my insurance policy and it looks like its covered so have called the insurance companys 24 hour emergency helpline. DIY is all very well when it's appropriate but with a hectic weekend coming up I'm going for the cop out. Just waiting for contact now from the appointed plumber. Suspicion is though that as its Friday pm and the weekend looms they won't treat it as urgent as I don't have water p*ssing through a ceiling or onto electrics. So I suspect it's wait until Monday by which time it will potentially go from "dry the carpet" to "replace the carpet" for the insurance company. So if your premiums go up next year you'll know why :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back