Leaking pipe joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody,
I need some help identifying where a leak comes from.
I have the following pipe
plumbing.jpg

and I suspect its leaking from (at least) one of the three places I marked with the arrows.
My guess is from the top of this grey plastic "nut" because its wet there. However, when I tip that blue switch there is still some leaking which would indicate that perhaps its leaking from the copper "nut" at the bottom two.

Can someone give an idea how to identify where the leak comes from.

Also, the most important question is how do I fix this? I tried to tighten the copper "nut" but still leaking. So my next attempt will be to tighten the grey plastic "nut" at the top. But I am not sure what sort of tool I need to turn this. Any ideas?

If I find that no tightening will do any good, do you think that the rubber washers need replacement?

Thank you
Vasileios

Sponsored Links
well, tightening the nylon one up to much might be puckering the seal. titter ye not.
if it was me, id' mole grip the chrome thing, to stop turning, graunch up the 15mm nut, and graunch up the nylon, with mains px obviously on.
:cool:
but if i could switch mains orrff , id re- make joint

mind you if its coming from swaging on rubber pipe , you need new pipe.

Sponsored Links
man, youre studying for a phd, use yer noggin. :rolleyes:
mind you ,it could be chemistry.......... and you could be right.
but chances are, it wont.

By the way, I can turn the 15mm nut but I don't have any tool for the nylon one. What tool do I need for that?

Also, the rubber pipe is dry, so the problem is not from that.

It think you might be right. I might need to redo the joint if tightening does not work.

Oi....stop surfing at my homepage :D

Hey, if it was a computer I would fix it, but plumbing? no way...

Anyway, dont you have PhD's in...Nepal (?)

:LOL:
i actually thought you were using one of those photo upload sites, i like to use em now and again, but twas sorely disapointed to find......you :LOL:
i dint even bother to download ya cv. :cool:

slip joint pliers will do for top nylon thing. or baby boa thingy.

i actually thought you were using one of those photo upload sites, i like to use em now and again, but twas sorely disapointed to find......you
I know, I get the same exact feeling when I look in the mirror every morning.
i dint even bother to download ya cv.
Oh come one man....I used aligned tables with borders and everything....

Anyway, I really appreciate the help. Thanks.

(And to think that I had decided to have a quiet night in, have a pizza, watch a movie. Damn leaks......)

To answer your question, which was how to find where the leak IS, use coloured loo paper. It goes dark, or transparentish, if you hold it up to a light. It's nice having a PhD but when the answer is "bog roll" it's best to shut up about your qualifications! (Nobody knows mine:cool: )

chris, with respect, i mentioned his qualifications....you do need glasses :eek:

:LOL:

Change rubber washer at 1
Tighten nut at 2 with basin wrench or mole grips.
At 3 undo nut , wrap ptfe tape around olive and tighten nut ensuring you hold the fitting while doing so. :D

Cute.

By the way I didn't mention anything about my qualifications. He did.

And I don't have a PhD yet (and from the looks of it I probably never will).

I only put the image on my homepage because frankly I dont have any other space to host it online.

Bahco is right but, er, you'll have to turn the water off first!

Yes chaps I CAN read. PhD not much help with that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back