Leaking pressure reduction valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My house has a pressure reduction valve fitted after the mains input stopcock. I believe its because i have a boiler-mate system installed.
The house and valve are 16 years old and the valve is slightly leaking
through what i think is the pressure adjustment screw (tube about 3 inches long and 1 inch in dia at 90 deg to the main pipe. The mains pipe nuts are fine.
There is no pressure gauge attached, and there is a small build up of lime scale where the drip forms. Whats the best way to resolve this please, I know new valve are around £50 ish and fitting and pressure checking are going to be about an hours work so thats about £120.
Can I just try moving the adjuster back and forth to clear any crap build up in the body??

Thanks
Orion

Sponsored Links
I would have expected about £84 to fit a new one plus the cost of the valve.

Moving it incurs a high risk of making it worse!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, Engineers coming monday.
£58 plus vat plus parts.

However the Glendhall Boilermate 2 specification says that the Max operating pressure must not exceed 3.5 bar and a limiter should be fitted for that.

I have spoken to Essex water as to the specific pressure in my area and they will give me and answer on Monday morning, but I do not think its anywhere near that (50.5 PSI ) I wish.

So please whats your thoughts if my local water pressure is below 3.5 bar (50.5.psi ) I don't see the need to fit a replacement unit.
I think these were fitted as part of a general design of this house as many have been built in different areas with no recourse to checking the water in the local area.

Please correct me if my thoughts are wrong.

Thanks

I wouls say it was fitted because there is/was a pressure problem, it's certainly not normal to fit them.

Thanks Do It All and others.

All fixed this pm, old valve replaced and new Reliance Valve fitted and pressure set up ok to 3.5 Bar Total cost (including another minor job) of £138 which I'm very happy with. Great Plumber and job well done (he even had a direct replacement valve in his stock room)

And what a difference now have very good water pressure in the whole house.

Some info that might be of help to others.
Essex water gave me the local pressure of 3 to 5.5 Bar so for a boilermate installation I needed a limiter fitted and set to 3.5 bar.

The old valve was a Reliance model P75 DN22 pre set, now on my valve where it was leaking was complete furred up covering the Vent hole.

:D

Job well Done Tks
Orion ***

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back