Leaking radiator, no access to loft ATM. Options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was having a ponder about decorating daughter playroom on Saturday, when I noticed that the radiator in there is quite rusty on the bottom edge.

So I decided to poke at it, as you do. Fingers behind the radiator, I can feel quite severe rusting there. Fingers come away damp, and I can smell the inhibitor I put in the system last month on them.

So, it's weeping..not gone, but going. Now, I'm not overly mobile at the moment, and stepladders/loft antics are a big no-chance. I can see how I'd go about changing this rad with the valves it has (manual), without a draindown of the system, but IDEALLY I'd like to get a TRV in there as well.

What options do I have? I assume it's either shut the mains water off under the sink, drain down as normal to save going in the loft, or...possibly pipe freezing? Is this any good?

Just seems a pity (and a waste) to dump the water in the system out, when the inhibitor is so fresh. Any suggestions anyone? Or even any rough ideas at pricing for a job like this? It's a small radiator.

For now, I've shut the heating off and it's hot water only to try and knock the pressure in the system down a bit, and the valve has been shut on that rad.

If I just went for a rad change, is there any reason why I couldn't just drill a hole in the knackered rad at the bottom to get the water out of it simply and with less mess than the whole "side nuts and towel" method?

Sponsored Links
freezing is only other option if your not draining down
but drain cheaper and better as cost of inhibtor to cost freezer kit
and you can take your time over the job

If you turn off all the rad valves in the house you will only be draining the pipework above the rad in question.

That can be done pretty easily at the rad itself as only 10-20 litres are involved.

You mentioned pressure which seems irrelevant if its an open vented system which you imply by saying you need access to the loft.

You dont say where you are but in our areas we would be charging about £120 plus the new rad and TRV.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back