Leaking radiator valves, Can this be repaired?

It's the bathroom radiator so I'm not going to bother with TRVs. The heating is on a timer anyway so when it's on I'll want that radiator hot hot hot to warm my towels lol.

I think I'm really asking "What's the worst that can happen if I don't drain the whole system?"

Sponsored Links
if you are changing several rads, it will be a lot less work and time to drain the whole system once, do all the work, then refill.

a trv is always more economical to run than a manual valve.

Ahh okay. It's only one that need replacing, the rest are all TRVs and work fine so I guess they were installed more recently, the leaky ones on the bathroom radiator are plain and do look a bit shabby but I heard that normally people don't put TRVs in the bathroom.

You only have to drain down just enough to cover the upstairs rads.

You should change all the valves that are of the same type upstairs as the leaking ones.

If you have any of the same type downstairs its best to change them all at the same time.

Tony

Sponsored Links
You only have to drain down just enough to cover the upstairs rads.

Tony

Thanks :) How do I know that the radiators upstairs are drained? :S Sorry I keep asking so much, I just don't want to undo the valve and a torrent of water comes splashing out. Like I said that one radiator isn't leaking any more so I think it's drained already. Is it possible it's on a different loop to the rest of the upstairs ones because they're still full and hot, or does it not work like that?

You open a valve connection slowly and see if it drips.

Tony

even better, loop the hose you use to drain down, over a downstairs door, that way the downstairs rads can't empty

Hello!

Thanks everyone for the help. I tried to do it myself but in the end I had to get my male friend to help put cos the valves were screwed on waaaaay too tight. All connections! I couldn't even turn the radiator key to get the part out of the actual radiator, we had to take it off the wall, lay it on the floor and stand on top of it to get leverage. We definitely know better than to screw them back on that tight.

Thanks again!

if you put ptfe tape on the screw threads, it will seal them and also prevent the metal seizing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back