leaking radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a leaking radiator. This is a radiator which was purchased and fitted by cowboy builders. I don't know what the quality is like. At first it was leaking at the pipe, so I put tape round it and stopped that leak. It is now leaking from the bottom of the radiator where the valve is screwed in. I have tried tape but it still leaks. It leaks when the pressure for the system is correct and the heating is off. When the heating is on the leak disappears.

Is it possible that there is a crack in the radiator? Do you think a new radiator is the answer. I have tried to cure this for over a year.

Sponsored Links
have you disconnected the valve body from the rad
where have you put the tape on the valve and what tape did you use??

Have you tried loctite 55 instead of PTFE? I take it that you do actually remove the nut from the radiator before you apply the PTFE?

Chances are that the heat evaporates the water as it leaks, and it doesn't actually "disappear"

Yes I have removed the valve and I haven't tried loctite 55. I have used PTFE tape. I will try the loctite and see how I get on.

Sponsored Links
loctite has changed my life - used to use gas ptfe and smear jointing compound. Now works fine with a few turns of this stuff (feels like dental floss). Couple of quid from screwfix amongst other places.

loctite has changed my life - used to use gas ptfe and smear jointing compound. Now works fine with a few turns of this stuff (feels like dental floss). Couple of quid from screwfix amongst other places.
Hemp and boss white still rules my life- I`m addicted to the smell :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back