Leaking Rainwater Pipe Joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
just had to modify my Rainwater downpipe because a soilpipe (horizontal) now comes in the way due to a new bathroom. before the rainwater pipe was straight down into the gutter. now it has to go around the new soilpipe. however some of the joints that i have added are leaking. it is a plastic pipe and i have used plastic fittings. the fittings dont have any rubber seals on. they just push in... dont they????

Sponsored Links
When fitting rainwater goods such as downpipes it is good practice to use a solvent cement to all joints,this bonds & seals the two pieces together and should prevent leaking joints.

EDIT: all downpipe fittings such as bends and sockets have a specific way in which they should be fitted.There is a male and female end to the fittings...a simpler way of explaining is that if the pipe is sliding into the fitting then this joint goes to the top as opposed to if the pipe slides onto the fitting then this will go to the bottom

CLEAR AS MUD EH? :rolleyes:

hi,
thanks for the great help!
i thought i had to use solvent cement! silly me!
thanks again

EDIT: all downpipe fittings such as bends and sockets have a specific way in which they should be fitted.There is a male and female end to the fittings...a simpler way of explaining is that if the pipe is sliding into the fitting then this joint goes to the top as opposed to if the pipe slides onto the fitting then this will go to the bottom

CLEAR AS MUD EH? :rolleyes:

male points downhill or downstream and female points uphill or upstream.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back