Leaking roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Recently purchased an extended semi (double storey side extension with flat roof)

I noticed today water stain on the old outside wall where the flat roof meets the pitched roof

The main house has a slate roof

Any ideas what this could be? Was not pleased to see water inside, but glad there was not loads.

Sponsored Links
hopefully it`s a slate slipped , rather than the flat roof covering leaking - if it`s the flattie you`ll have to strip and replace the slates to get @ it :cry:

Can you get up there?

Check for any broken/missing/cracked slate(ignoring those with small corners missing).

Check for signs of previous repairs on both the flat and pitched roof.

Is there felt under the slates? If not then look closer to the flat roof for slate damage.

It's worth going through a visual check and process of elimination first.

Sponsored Links
I'm going o try and get up there after work today and take some pictures as well.

Earlier this year before I purchased the house, there was some roof repairs which included replacing some tiles and rebedding the ridge/hip tiles.

Im hoping its an easy repair, as im planning on removing the flat roof next year, and putting a new pitched roof over the extension, which ties into the existing roof (all cost dependent)

Bottom row of slate(12th and 9th from hip)there seems to be a break in the bond with the under course slate which could possibly cause an ingress.

Then there are the two flashbanded(nasty stuff) slate you should check out.

Also 5th slate(2nd course) in seems to have slipped(or not cut to size).

Where is the leak in relation to the slate?

Bottom row of slate(12th and 9th from hip)there seems to be a break in the bond with the under course slate which could possibly cause an ingress.

Then there are the two flashbanded(nasty stuff) slate you should check out.

Also 5th slate(2nd course) in seems to have slipped(or not cut to size).

Where is the leak in relation to the slate?

The leak is in the corner towards the bottom of the hip (inside the corner of the room in the original part of the house)

The problem is that the actual ingress maybe somewhere else and finding the quickest route to release.

If you don't want to go the way of a major repair/reroof you could try some fibre based, paint on compound, something along the lines of aquaseal or isoflex though it can be a bit hit & miss with flat roofs.

Can you get into the loft and check for signs of water ingress on the roof structure where the slate meets the flat roof? It will be tight but with a torch you may see some signs.

The problem is that the actual ingress maybe somewhere else and finding the quickest route to release.

If you don't want to go the way of a major repair/reroof you could try some fibre based, paint on compound, something along the lines of aquaseal or isoflex though it can be a bit hit & miss with flat roofs.

Can you get into the loft and check for signs of water ingress on the roof structure where the slate meets the flat roof? It will be tight but with a torch you may see some signs.

I'll get up in the loft and check, although Im not the smallest bloke either.

I just need to quick fix as next year I plan on redoing the whole roof, maybe this time in clay rosemary tiles

Would any of these be ok?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/thompson-s-10-year-roof-seal-4ltr/73091
http://www.screwfix.com/p/cementone...p=Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area2&_requestid=17836
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Roo...rseals/Roofing+Emulsion+5L/d250/sd2809/p84528
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Roo...s/All+Weather+Roof+Coat+5L/d250/sd2809/p60252
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Roo.../Black+Bituminous+Paint+5L/d250/sd2809/p88792

I am sure they would be ok but I can only recommend what I have used and have experience of, hence my previous replies and recommendations.

I am sure they would be ok but I can only recommend what I have used and have experience of, hence my previous replies and recommendations.

Thanks for all the help, appreciate it.

My uncle has just mentioned to me that a mate of his is a roofer, so he is coming around on saturday to take a look at it. Hopefully I can get it sorted soon, as I can't decorate the room.

Have you considered using leak proof solutions or roof replacements? There are many such services available around.

Have you considered using leak proof solutions or roof replacements? There are many such services available around.

Hi

Are you on about the stuff in the links I posted above?

I noticed there is a stain on the other side of the wall (in the extension) but the wall seems dry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back