Leaking Stopcock

It'd be interesting to know why they do it, I'm sure it aint because of the pipes freezing, maybe to check for leakage. :confused:

Sponsored Links
The next time I will ask them as I am inquisitive as well, but i can only assume that they do it to make sure these valves don't get stuck in one position, deep below in ground all sort of things can cause these valves to freeze.

When they were doing it outside my house, I asked, and was told there are two mains under the road, and they periodically run the water through one, then periodically through the other.

They run the fire hydrant to flush out the rust and sediment from the pipe that has been out of use.

I suppose that having two pipes makes it easy to use one when the other is being worked on or bursts.

Sponsored Links
recently they also carried out some work in my street and dropped a card stating that our water supply would be shut off for a few minutes on a certain day and advised us to run water for a few minutes before drinking it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back