Leaking Toilet Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a problem with my toilet but due to not knowing any remotely technical terms Im finding it difficult to identify the problem and therefore the solution.

After our toilet has been flushed and the cistern refilled water flows at quite a rate out in to the toilet bowl as though the flush is still open. The only thing that stops this is turning the bathroom sick tap on and off quickly, that does the trick until next time its flushed.

I thought it might be the flushing mechanism - its one of those boxy plastic push button things rather than an old style ball valve - but I replaced that and its no better.

If anyone has any ideas what the problem could be and how I could fix it Id be very grateful. I am wasting an awful lot of water!

Thanks

Steven

Sponsored Links
It sounds as though the flush valve is sticking open - there a quite a few to choose from so a photograph would help to identify it.

Edit: re-read post!

Once flushed does the flush stop and then water starts to flow after a short time?

If so, then the cistern is overflowing and the fill level needs to be adjusted

Is it overflowing over the top of the flush valve? Could be the fill valve is sticking open.

As newboy mentions, when it's doing it take the top off the cistern and take a pic.

Thanks for getting back to me. I understood how the old style toilets with a ball worked but not this thing. I will take a picture tonight and post it. It does stop flowing then start up again after a minute or two - its more than a trickle but not a full flush and just carries on indefinitely unless I turn the tap on then off quickly which strangely stops it.

Sponsored Links
Also - changing the flushing unit or whatever it is called had no effect on the problem at all. I think it seemed to help for a week or so then the problem returned. Just thought Id add that whilst I remembered. I'll take a photo tonight. Thanks again.

If your fill valve keeps on filling, the cistern will eventually overflow into the flush valve, running into the pan, opening the other tap may close the fill valve and halt the overflow.

Okay - I think Ive got my head around how the thing works now. From the attached picture you can see (hopefully) its just continuing to fill beyond the point it should stop so the water is running out the overflow (I didnt realise the overflow didnt run outside like on the old loo!). The fill valve moves as the cistern fills but it doesnt cut off the water. Ive given it a bit of a wiggle and twist and it does seem to cut it off. Would I be right in thinking that its most likely I need to replace the fill valve?

Attachments

• 20160309_194228.jpg
    20160309_194228.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 103
Yup, it's your fill valve that's not closing off, running a tap is dropping the pressure enough to let the valve shut. Most new flush valves incorporate an internal overflow these days.

You may just need to adjust the fill valve or does the toilet have an isolation valve on the cold water inlet pipe? Try turning that down a little. If all else fails then replace it for a good quality valve, a fluidmaster brass shanked number is as good as you'll get.

Watch for the possibility of a pressure reducing valve being included, you may need it if your toilet is on the main and the pressure is high.

These new filling valves work on a different principle to old fashioned ball float valves, they are work a bit like servo system on car brakes, where a small amount of pressure creates larger pressure and so use a small diaphragm about an inch to inch and half, which uses a clever mechanism to shut off the incoming water against rubber disc valve that is forced by the diaphragm, I have had to replace these rubber diaphragm which are commonly available from most plumbers shops and saves you a lot of hassle having to drain the cistern if you were to replace the whole valve body, but often if the diaphragm is not available separately one can remove parts from a new one and just replace those instead of the whole body and its floater. Strangely they are not highly durable and can fail often for silly reasons, such as diaphragm stretching, water pressure too high or too low.

I find the new technology used is brilliant and quite effective otherwise given if the water pressure is within limits, compared to the old fashioned bulky float valves, though they were far more reliable.

You can also test them outside a cistern, since the threads at the inlet are the same as those on a shower hose, so if you uncouple your shower head from the hose and couple the hose to the inlet of this new style valve, you can test them if they shut Ok when its smaller float valve is raised, and it may take a second or so before it kicks in solid shut mode.

Last edited:
Great - think that should do it. Thanks very much for all your help - this site and the users who take the time to help out clueless people like me - well it just restores my faith in humanity a little bit. That and I should be able to stop wasting water!

Thanks again

Steven

If you are unaware of any technical knowledge, why are you trying it yourself? You might end up inviting to even bigger problem. Your problem is related to complete plumbing system of your bathroom and toilet. Do not waste anymore water, just call a local plumber. I think your water bill might have doubled till now.

If you are unaware of any technical knowledge, why are you trying it yourself? You might end up inviting to even bigger problem. Your problem is related to complete plumbing system of your bathroom and toilet. Do not waste anymore water, just call a local plumber. I think your water bill might have doubled till now.

If you are unaware of correct grammer and how a malfunctioning valve doesn't condemn a whole bathroom's plumbing, then please don't talk mince.

Yeah I dont think there is a systemic problem with the plumbing. I moved/adjusted the fill valve and that seems to have sorted the problem. I suspect it may come back and need to be replaced but given the response so far that seems to be the individual problem and one which I can fix myself.

My water charges aren't lined to usage but I did want it to stop wasting water but as I said I think that the fill valve is the culprit and its been resolved now.

Im happ to use professionals when needed but also money is tight and therefore for something as simple as this problem, with the help of the good people on here I managed to get enough of an understanding to diagnose and fix the problem so why spend extra money having someone else do a job I can do myself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back