Leaking Water Tank

gfp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1980s ground floor flat with a cold water storage tank that has an overflow pipe that is connected through the base of the tank (in the centre).

This overflow pipe is connected to the over flow piping that leads to the overflow pipe outside the property - there has been a drip coming from the overflow pipe outside.

The water feed is fine and the water level is well below the top of the overflow pipe so no problems there.

I drained the tank to investigate and unassembled some of the the piping at the base of the tank - the was a fair bit of water dripping out through this pipe confirming the leak is definitely escaping via the pipe fitting at the base of the tank and out through the overflow pipe.

The overflow pipe in the centre of the tank has a tapered end that is pushed into the fitting at the base of the tank and it is this fitting that I think is faulty.

I am not sure how to go about unassembling the fitting at the base of the tank and didn't want to attempt it in case I couldn't get it back together. Any ideas on what this fitting is, whether it is lkely to have perished and how to fix it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Drain the tank and pull and twist out the pipe with the taper, clean it and the mating surface in the bottom of the tank, reassemble and fill up. That should do it but check to see if the connector in the bottom has a crack on it. I think Mcalpine still do these fittings so if you need a new one.
PS no glue or sealant to be used as its there for draining the tank out through the overflow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back