Leaking window frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I wonder if anyone can help...one of the windows in our spare room is leaking a small amount of water. It is coming through where two pieces of the upvc meet (picture attached hopefully - where there is an L shape on the corner). Both the upper opening window and lower fixed one are doing it. I think the window is approx 15 years old. It possibly looks older than this in the pic - we had a lodger and the room in general needs a good clean and decorate now they have gone! Is there any way to fix this, or do we need a new window?

The water leaks through the entire length of the window by the way, not just at the corners.

Many thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Drainage holes may be blocked, can u post a picture from outside, will then hopefully be able to give more info

Thank you for the reply. Went up on a ladder and indeed the drainage hole under the bottom window was blocked - unblocked it and out came a small waterfall. Thank you!

I am still unsure about the top window though - tried taking a photo but too risky up the ladder and don't think it would have shown much! The top window is an opening window and water has got into the upvc (which has no drainage from what i can see) and now leaks a little out of the join in the upvc - much more drips out once the window is opened. That window has got all full of condensation - could it bd linked to this? I am having that pane of glass replaced in a few weeks as it happens. Might that help? Or replacing the outside seal?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Again I would say it's the drainage, this is located at the bottom of the sash when opened, if this unit is being replaced wait for the glass to be removed, you'll then be able to unblock it, you will see the 2 drainage slots at the bottom once the glass is out

Once the water builds up enough to touch the glass then the dgu is on borrowed time and it wouldn't take long before it failed, ask the glass man to check the drainage before he refits the new dgu, you might find no holes have been drilled at all, not uncommon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back