Leaks on a close-coupled cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Close-coupled cistern installed a couple of months back (OK, four months). I've noticed there is a slow leak around the bottom of the cistern. The water very slowly drips down the two screws that hold the cistern in place. There is no water anywhere else on the cistern, so I guess it isn't condensation, but it is some sort of leak associated with the big foam "doughnut" seal. The two wingnuts are as tight as they can go - given they're cheap galvanised P.O.S.'s I don't think there's any more adjustment there ;) . The volume of water is very small, probably no more than a couple of spoonfulls per day, but it's enough to stain the carpet, and hence get me earache from SWMBO.

Any suggestions? Getting the herbert who fitted it to come back is a non-starter. He finished that job, then before doing the rest of the work he was supposed to do for me, he contracted butler's bum / lazy back / strangulated hernia and told me he couldn't do any more :evil:

Sponsored Links
they're cheap galvanised P.O.S.'s
What are P.O.S.'s ? (And why the apostrophe?)

To answer your question, do the bolts fix through the base of the cistern? If so, they might be leaking. Otherwise, it's the doughnut washer that's not sealing. It may not be seated properly. Best to take the cistern off and check fit and alignment.

Sponsored Links
P.O.S - piece of sh*t
Difficult to know exactly how to pluralise this...

The bolts don't go through the tank - I thought of that myself, and checked before posting.

Sounds like a new duffnut, then!

Thanks, all

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back