leaky toilet help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone.
Can anyone tell me how to stop my toilet leaking.. it has a constant slight drizzle (think of a very very slight continuous flush) and then every 45 mins the cistern will refill itself, then the cycle starts over again.
ive posted some images of the insides.
There is a plastic arm with a polysyrene ball not attached to anything inside nowhere clear for this to attatch to....?
dsc04492a.jpg

dsc04491w.jpg

Thanks in advance
DEan

Sponsored Links
thats a wirquin flush valve.

that balll/lever fixes onto the white plastic arm by the green cable.

Sponsored Links
the water is not going down the red pipe wich i believe to be the overflow...it is as if the flush is not fully sealing? !??! is there a repair i could do or is it a case of a new siphon????

I have come across loads of these that keep letting water by, never quite understood how they work. Give me a siphon anyday....

Replacement flush valves are about a tenner from Screwfix, i'd personally just replace the damn thing! ;)

you need the ball to keep the flush valve closed.

wirquin valves are french cr*p at the best of times.
if you get the fluidmaster flush valve that is a copy of the macdee arcadia flush valve which is very reliable and simple valve.

It is sometimes the fault of the rubber sealing washer at the base of the flushvalve-either worn or some dirt is stopping it sealing the outlet hence water trickling into pan. To remove the flushvalve you normally turn the whole body of the flushvalve anti-clockwise very slightly and lift out.
A new washer might cure it.Then again it might not. If not then new flushvalves are not expensive - £10 to £15.

Water usually trickles through into the pan due to the Seal on the bottom of the flush valve not sealing correctly.
This can happen for many reasons, most common is detrius around the rim of the seal, worn seals (take them off and reverse them), or mishappen outlets.

Usually to remove the seal, you will need to.

1) Turn the water supply off.
2) Remove the entire float valve assembly. 2 Clasps usually hold these in place. Holding the clasps at the top and squeezing them inwards releases the tooth grip at the bottom of the clasp allowing you to life the assembly upwards and out. Some valves are a turn and click to undo.
3) Clean the Seal and the porcelain around the outlet.

If the seal is perished, you may be able to get a replacement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back