Leaky window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Double_Glazed_Fixed_Window_Diagram.png

Referring to the dig above, I've got a window that during the gales this week let water in between 5 & 8.

I have no idea where to seal it. I certainly don't want to seal it between the sill (9) and the window because I'm sure water can get into the frame and if I seal the outside it won't be able to drain out. (is that assumption true?)

I can't be sure but I have a feeling the whole window is sitting on the exterior sill. In which case sealing between 5 & 8 would be a good place to put sealant because any water getting into the frame will make its way out.

As I say I'm pretty certain water's getting into the frame, in which case should I cut my losses and replace the whole window?

Sponsored Links
Is your window internally beaded/glazed? If so and the water is lying on the internal cill the first thing i'd suspect is the window not draining properly or at all and water is coming through the bead, along the length or maybe the corner mitres.

You'll need to pop the glass out and check the drainage holes, it could be they've just blocked with dirt and grime, obstructed by the glass packers, bridge packers should be used really, or worse still not drilled right through

With this type of installation, there should be external drainage holes which are covered with caps like these

!BzEkYR!Bmk~$(KGrHqUOKiUEwSBd,NPwBMUZCDFOLQ~~_35.JPG

Either way you will have to take the glass out and check as per above

Sponsored Links
As Woody and crank39 says there should be drain holes, I have amended you drawing to show how the extrusion should be drained.
I have also amended the drawing to show through drainage for a standard plastic cill installation with drainage slots going right through the profile to drain out onto the plastic cill. I wonder if your window was manufactured with the view that it would be sitting on a plastic cill and water is finding its way back.

Above is face drained profile where face cover caps are required.
Below is bottom drained profile which cannot be seen

When you pop out the glass and look inside the profile, and see that you do have drain holes, but no visible drain holes on the face then you will have a job on your hands.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back