Lean to roof - beam size for 6.5m span

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm currently building an extension with a lean to.
The rafters will be spanning 3.3m at an angle of 18 degrees.
The high end of the rafters will sit on a beam spanning 6.5m. I intend to combine 8x2 s to form an 8x8. Fully pinned with coach bolts at 400mm centres. The roof will be Kent pegs. Is this an adequate beam?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
are you saying that this lean to will have a beam fixed to a wall(the high end?) and that is the 4 8x2 bolted together? or are you saying that the 8x2s will be a truss in which case its not a mono pitch lean to.

dont understand sorry.

Ah yes sorry
The. 8x2 combo beam is against a wall however not attached. It is supported by two columns of the same make up, at each end. These columns are attached to the front (low end ) beam by diagonal braces.

The structure is a free standing timber frame with a lean to roof.
The low side beam is supported by two columns, one at each end and along its span by the studding also in 8x2.
So I am happy that I haven't a problem with that one.

But the high beam has only the columns supporting it. Hence a longer span.

The reason for this is that I don't want to add any loading to the existing barn framework.

Sponsored Links
any reason that you wont attach the beam to the wall and make it a wall plate?

ive just done a roof for a lean to 6.5m using a single 6x2 into a chalk wall with resin fixings.

**just understood the bit about the barn frame..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back