Lean to wall plate help

K78

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m building a lean to and have a problem.

I intended to put the wall plate above the windows and chase the flashing into the mortar, but I haven’t got room.

Suggestions would be welcome and appreciated.

Please ignore the state of the gutters. It’s my brothers place and he has MS. I don’t think anyone has been round that side of his bungalow for a while. The space is wasted and he needs somewhere to store his wheelchairs.

Thanks.
BF1F7EC6-E3A7-40D8-8B87-E9BC69CFD878.jpeg
2C9103D4-CD54-4711-B0D3-31E6E30EBD6D.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I’m building a lean to and have a problem.

I intended to put the wall plate above the windows and chase the flashing into the mortar, but I haven’t got room.

There is no masonry above the windows, so how can you chase anything in? A lean-to structure is not suitable on that elevation, unless it's slotted in between the windows.

Surely a flat roof structure (at fascia level) would be more practical?

• Thanks
Reactions: K78
Take the eaves off, take the new rafters up to the existing plate, bond the same tiles in, or fit lead as a cover strip to whatever the new roof cover will be. .

• Thanks
If it's s typical makeshift timber and corrugated plastic/polycarbonate jobbie then fix some 6x1 to the brickwork with sufficient gap below the soffit to catch the roof sheets, skip the sections above the windows, face fix your rafters, fix a row of noggins just down from the top of the rafters where you have access to fix the sheets, put extra where the rafters are spaced wider to avoid the windows.

Attachments

• IMG_20230614_120948069.jpg
    IMG_20230614_120948069.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 36
Sponsored Links
There is no masonry above the windows, so how can you chase anything in? A lean-to structure is not suitable on that elevation, unless it's slotted in between the windows.

Surely a flat roof structure (at fascia level) would be more practical?
I wasn’t aware that there was no masonry above the windows until yesterday.

Take the eaves off, take the new rafters up to the existing plate, bond the same tiles in, or fit lead as a cover strip to whatever the new roof cover will be. .

Thanks for the suggestion. appreciated.
I was going to do this today but the weird windows ruined my plan.
If it's s typical makeshift timber and corrugated plastic/polycarbonate jobbie then fix some 6x1 to the brickwork with sufficient gap below the soffit to catch the roof sheets, skip the sections above the windows, face fix your rafters, fix a row of noggins just down from the top of the rafters where you have access to fix the sheets, put extra where the rafters are spaced wider to avoid the windows.

This similar to the idea I had yesterday, but I wasn’t sure of the detail for getting around the windows.

I was going to do this today but the weird windows ruined my plan.
What weird?
If looks like a typical/standard head detail.

As woody and I have said, you need to remove the fascia, the bottom couple of courses of tiles and lay your roof from the existing wall plate.

• Thanks
What weird?
If looks like a typical/standard head detail.

As woody and I have said, you need to remove the fascia, the bottom couple of courses of tiles and lay your roof from the existing wall plate.

Not weird, I just remembered bricks and mortar above the window.

Threw me when I seen it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back