Leaning external wall issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to buy a Double fronted Victorian property. The front of the house is a typical house you would draw as a kid, door in middle, window either side for downstairs and up. There is another landing window in the middle above the front door. The house is on at a very good price probably due to the issue I am about to query:

The wall (About 2-3 metres wide) at the front middle of the house is leaning inwards between one side of the front door and the side window, the lean is more at the top than at the bottom and is about 1-1.5cm inwards into the house. There are cracks on one side and on the other the wall itself is leaning in. It's only in the middle of the front of the house and the remainder of the property is in very good condition.

I know it's difficult to give a good answer without seeing it but - why would this happen do you think and how much do you think it would cost to put it right (rebuild for example)? The wall is Flemish bond and has no cavity.

Thanks
Jono.

please note 9

Sponsored Links
front1.JPG

Here is a photo of the front, As indicated the area of concern is between the red and blue lines. The blue lines are where there are cracks and the red is where the wall is actually leaning into the house by about 1- 1.5 cm.

front2.JPG

Here you can see the crack and where the wall is leaning in. This crack is the big red crack from the image above.

As I am at the offer stage I want to put a realistic offer in knowing this needs to be fixed. Ish, how much would you think it would cost to put right? I am wanting to re-mortar the whole house and put new windows in etc. later. Also the whole house needs gutting inside so I am not worried about damage to internal walls/floors etc.

Thanks Jono.

jono please note 9

is it possible the left side has pushed out, have any walls or supporting walls been removed.

Sponsored Links
have any walls or supporting walls been removed.

No, no internal walls have been removed. Taking a closer look at the wall yest, the middle is def going in and not the sides coming out.

There was an earthquake in the area about 10 years ago and it caused damage to a simular property opposite, not major but cracks galore!
Looking at the state of the motar that was put it the crack, it does look a number of years old!

I don't mind supporting the wall from the inside, as I mentioned earlier I am gutting the place and it will probably need new flooring on the first floor. The rest of the property is in great condition and there are no cracks on the walls on the side or back.

Thanks again, Jono.

if your gutting the place its not a big job and if the pointing was done years ago there doesnt seem to be any more movement because the pointing looks pretty fresh with no big cracks.

It is well known for cracks to appear from corner of windows as breezer pointed out that a structural surveyor will tell you more & also give you a rough price as you may need to know how much to knock the price of the property down. You may even need underpining which is very costly. Normally building insurance meet underpinning costs but not sure how you stand if you knew about it if you decided to buy it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back