Dwarf wall for a Lean To

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of planning a part DIY LEAN TO for the rear of my terraced cottage property . The basics will consist of a Dwarf L shaped wall 14ft (total length) x 2ft (height) on which a UPVC sill , windows and a single door will be fitted and finished of with a 35mm thickness polycarbonate roof . the lean to will only extend 6 ft from the rear wall of the property . The backyard surface is concrete with 1.5" slabs cemented on top , and my question is would this be sufficient to take the weight of the whole lean to without actually having to dig down to lay 16" of founds / footing ? What I am really asking is this a viable / practical option ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I am afraid not.

It may well take the weight, but that doesn't mean it won't move.

And your biggest issue is DPC and DPM damp arrangements.

That's not to say it can't be done and might be ok she....my Dads house had a timber porch put straight on paving slabs and it's lasted 50 years.

But I wouldn't advise attempting such a solid structure with brickwork on no footing, it's a lot of work for it to fail.

Thanks for your reply Notch7 . I fully understand your concerns but when you say " but that doesn,t mean it wont move" , do you mean with subsidence or the actual flag stones moving ?
The flagstones are solid and I would practically guarantee no movement with them ?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
additional to last message . What other alternatives are there to build 2ft to 3ft up from the ground surface without digging footings that would be substantial ?
Thanks in advance for any answers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back