strength of dwarf wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a conservatory that will be approx 14ft by10ft,L shaped.It will have a dwarf wall approx 800mm high.Brick outer leaf with heavy duty blocks inner wall.I intend to have the rest of the structure made out of timber with double glaized panels rather than a plastic structure.The roof will be polycarbonate.My concern is regarding the weight of the timber and glass that will be positioned ontop of the dwarf wall.What weight would a dwarf wall on a concrete foundation expect to support safely,could anybody advise, regards

Sponsored Links
Consider a house. Now think of the bottom 800mm to be a dwarf wall. Now think about what is on top of this.

Never thought about it that way Woody,Its just that I could visualise this heavy wooden structure on top of a single brick wall and I got a bit worried. cheers

single brick :eek: .........not cavity with Wall Ties :?: ;)

Sponsored Links
100pair said:
I am building a conservatory that will be approx 14ft by10ft,L shaped.It will have a dwarf wall approx 800mm high.Brick outer leaf with heavy duty blocks inner wall.

Calm down Nige f.

I think he's getting a little excited and forgetting what he's said himself. :D

Brick outer leaf with heavy duty blocks inner wall.
I could visualise this heavy wooden structure on top of a single brick wall and I got a bit worried.

The heavy wooden structure would rest on 2 skins, not 1 wouldn't it? Not as though I know about conservatories or anything, but just wondered why you said the structure would rest on just a single skin when there are 2 skins.

the conservatory will rest on the outside brick work, the inner leaf will add a modicum of stability.

The strength of a single brick masonry unit varies widely, depending on its ingredients and manufacturing method. Bricks can have an ultimate compressive strength as low as 1,600 psi. On the other hand, some well-burned brick has compressive strength exceeding 15,000 psi.

Because portland-cement-lime mortar is normally stronger than the brick, brick masonry laid with this mortar is stronger than an individual brick unit. The load-carrying capacity of a wall or column made with plain lime mortar is less than half that made with portland-cement-lime mortar. The compressive working strength of a brick wall or column laid with plain lime mortar normally ranges from 500 to 600 psi

In other words, I dont think a bit of wood and a few double glazed panels is going to be a problem. Like noseall says unlike a house floor and roof structure, a conservatory structure rests on the outer skin

Woody,

Its hard to teach an old dog new tricks :) PSI can also refer to compression pressure not always used for outward force as in Car tyres and inflatables.

Hang on will find my newton conversion chart and convert fron pounds shillings and pence to Euros for you :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back