Learning to drive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Like a lot of people, I learnt to drive when I was 17. I learnt in and around Wolverhampton. When I passed, people said "Now you can go out and really learn to drive". After driving in and around Sheffield for a couple of years I knew what they meant.

Then I went to live in Lisbon, Portugal. :eek: Goodness me, that is when I really learnt to drive - I evolved eyes in the back of my head and the back of my backside*. The daily commute in and out of Lisbon was the most stressful part of the job. Bom dia! That was a wacky race! Now driving anywhere holds no fear and I have what I think could be over-quick reactions to drivers over here.

Where did you really learn to drive? Or maybe you have really learnt to drive. If so, where?

Obrigado.

*I do know this is not how evolution works. I put it in for a hopeful comedy effect.

Sponsored Links
People have lessons to learn how to pass the driving test NOT to learn how to drive.
That comes after you have passed your test and takes a very long time to learn.

Farm vehicles and more off road... age from 14.
The best training, if you are willing and able to learn and manage to survive - Motorcycling ... Road reading and self preservation - Roadcraft.

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Silverstone

The track is a safe place, all professional drivers or skilled amatuers,

The car parks and the roads home after the event are where you learn to drive and cope with others who think manouvering a car at speed is all there is to driving..

Places to learn,

Place de la Concorde in Paris for compact close quarter combat.

BernardGreen Wrote:
The car parks and the roads home after the event are where you learn to drive and cope with others who think manouvering a car at speed is all there is to driving..
Which is why so many people are killed on the roads ... Killed whilst learning.

If you think that manouvering a car at speed is all there is to a race car driver Bernard then you really need to get out more :LOL:

I agree that the track is a safer environment at speed which is why it is a better place to learn core life saving skills ... Driving at speed, anticipation, reaction, visual acuity and hand/feet/eye coordination, coping with the unexpected etc.

The skills required to be safe in this environment were remarkably similar to those required when I learnt to fly and INTENSE concentration is required ... Far more than you will experience out on the open road.

If you can be safe at close quarters with a couple of dozen other people driving inches from you at 150 mph then you have more chance of surviving in a car park!

And, just for the record, just because I have learnt to drive fast and safe on a racetrack, I don't drive fast on the open road ... Another common mis-conception ... All middle aged men and women on my course, no boy racers :LOL:

More skills training should take place off road IMO rather than sending newbies out into the big wide world after half a dozen lessons hoping that they learn to be safe before they kill themselves (or me) ;)

MW

Sponsored Links
Back