Advanced Driving Lesson

Ah, but -- there is always at least one A B .... If the other road users did the same, if there was uniformity, a standard method adopted by all .. Then the queue would all remain more or less, relatively in convoy... with no sudden bursts of acceleration from other vehicles to contend with.

Anyone have the trip computer on board ?
Interesting little project, reset / clear the Av speed readout, check again after a month or so .... Quite a shock for some I would imagine.
I was quite unimpressed.
P

Sponsored Links
pipme said:
Ah, but -- there is always at least one A B .... If the other road users did the same, if there was uniformity, a standard method adopted by all .. Then the queue would all remain more or less, relatively in convoy... with no sudden bursts of acceleration from other vehicles to contend with.

No, but.. That's what I mean. What new drivers are supposedly learning now is creating extra queues.
What happened to the good old: Anticipation of what is going on 2 to 3 cars ahead of you??

Fine if you can see beyond the cliffsides of ever wider vans, people carriers, 4WD's ... Driving rapidly becoming a total chore !!
P

Sponsored Links
WoodYouLike said:
My speed is now 30 or 40, I'm still in 5th gear, road is clear in front of my (all cars directly in front of me have turned of the road).
How on earth am I going to speed up again fast enough before the rest behind me is blinking, honking etc????

Quite simply, by changing down a gear or two! :D I don't think you quite get what this new approach is. If you are stopping, that is when you don't bother changing down as you slow. If you are just slowing down, you still use gears as appropriate.

After all, if you were driving in 5th at 60, and the car in front started to slow, would you select 3rd gear at 60, just because you know you will need it later? :LOL:

AdamW said:
Quite simply, by changing down a gear or two! :D I don't think you quite get what this new approach is. If you are stopping, that is when you don't bother changing down as you slow. If you are just slowing down, you still use gears as appropriate.

After all, if you were driving in 5th at 60, and the car in front started to slow, would you select 3rd gear at 60, just because you know you will need it later? :LOL:

Ah, now you're making sence! And no of course not on last question, anticipation, anticipation.... from 5 to 4 and if needed further from 4 to 3 etc etc. :D

But I am now driving an oil burner with loadsa torque whats all this about changing down ? -- get a real car gents !! and keep clear of meter emptiers ;)

Remember brakes cost money, engine braking is relatively cheap .. May be old school but engine braking first .. unless travelling at or below the 26 mph average we recorded over a month recently. .. Select the tools for the job depending upon situation ... ;)

Sorry, I can't get a diesel, I don't have my HGV licence :LOL:

Plus, call me funny, but I like my power band to be more than 200rpm wide! ;) I've noticed with my mate's clio diesel, they must use the same dials for all models including Clio 182, as his diesel's tachometer goes up to... 8000rpm! Seems a bit daft having a tacho with the redline not much more than halfway round, crazy French car designers! :LOL:

Engine braking is cheap when done normally, but if you go for maximum engine braking then you burn your clutch, then send massive torque backwards through your drivetrain! Given a choice between wearing my brakepads, and wearing my gearbox/clutch, I know which I would choose!

Of course, we all use a combination of both methods, just in varying quantities. I don't think you will get any disagreement that anticipation is the best approach! Unless we have any sales reps here ;)

What our little variable geometry turbo 100 dci !!! pulls admirably, max T @ 1900 allthrough to max power @ soothingly low RPM ... plus it's a sometimes van in seconds --- great for the Uni removals run !!
Usual old froggy options inside seats come remaining seats can shift inwards away from doors .. neat.
;)

just to add to the driving thing. i passed my test a few month ago. if i had to re-take my test 2mro, id fail within the first minute. not that there is anything wrong with my driving, just the fact that its safer to drive the way i do, not the way 'they' want you to.

but we all kno how corrupt the government is. safety or money? theyll always go with money.

example of roadwork stupidity. there is a dual carriageway near me. a few year ago they done some work to 'improve the safety' of it. now you have to slow to below 20 because of the very sharp left turn you have to make to get on. if a car and trucj come upto it, then there will be a crash. the only way for a trucj to get thru is to use both lanes, and its still tight. before, you could easily get 2 trucks thru.

That sounds interesting - can you get a pic or two without killing yourself?

AdamW said:
He would have learned in the mid-sixties. I have read in the motorcycle press that some old-school instructors hate the front-brake-first approach, perhaps it was phased in over a period of time and you got one of the more modern instructors?
I passed my motorbike test in the 70's so maybe? but to be honest the test was different then no need for instructors you just turned up at the test centre and was tested, the experience was learnt from talking with other bikers.

Sponsored Links
Back