6 gears?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got to drive a Vauxhall Movano on tuesday. 2.5 turbo diesel MWB. It had 6 gears. Well, I didnt know what to do with the 6th gear :LOL: Especially in a van! In a car I could appreciate the need for a 6th gear at motorway cruising speeds. But not being too familiar with vans, I didnt know what to do. And I found it a little confusing too, top gear being at the bottom right, where reverse should be!

Also didnt get on with the clutch pedal in this van (anyone drive one?) It seems anything over a size 9, your left foot will constantly catch the steering column, as it travels down between the clutch and the brake. Bad design!!!

What heaven to get back into my car and drive home. Clutch and steering light as a breeze (so much so, I thought it was broken) :LOL:

But 6 gears?? :confused: Do you have 6? when do you use it?

Posted in GD 'cos thats where all the really boring threads go :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I got to drive a Vauxhall Movano on tuesday. 2.5 turbo diesel MWB. It had 6 gears. Well, I didnt know what to do with the 6th gear :LOL: Especially in a van! In a car I could appreciate the need for a 6th gear at motorway cruising speeds. But not being too familiar with vans, I didnt know what to do. And I found it a little confusing too, top gear being at the bottom right, where reverse should be!

Also didnt get on with the clutch pedal in this van (anyone drive one?) It seems anything over a size 9, your left foot will constantly catch the steering column, as it travels down between the clutch and the brake. Bad design!!!

What heaven to get back into my car and drive home. Clutch and steering light as a breeze (so much so, I thought it was broken) :LOL:

But 6 gears?? :confused: Do you have 6? when do you use it?

Posted in GD 'cos thats where all the really boring threads go :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

if yea dont like it i will swap you for my quarter cheese i drive
it got 3 new tyres

Got one on hire at work at the mo.

Agree about reverse being a pain in the bum, have tried reversing in 6th gear about 3 times now! :LOL:
Use 6th when I get up to top speed on the M-Way, other then that don't bother.

Found the window winders a pain as well! They wind down backwards to our Transit wagon! and the seat edge is right close to the door so you catch your hands on the seat when trying to lower the window.

Sooner we get our wagon back the better.

Sponsored Links
I've got six gears in my Qashqai. Think I've used it a couple of times on dual carriageway but I keep forgetting it's there. Motorbikes have six gears, not cars!!

I suppose in a diesel it is handy - I remember learning to drive in a diesel pick up truck and first gear was crap - always started off in second - which was a hard habit to break for my driving test!! It could have done with a 6th gear.

I Have had 6 for years. I admit it does not get used a lot as i work mainly within a 15 mile radius.

The ratios are closer that's all.

6 speed auto on diesel Beemer works well. Cruise at 1900rpm at 80mph (allegedly of course)

Can't see the point in a small van though

First read your post and thought you had said a Vauxhall Monaro which would be far more interesting

My M5 (before it was stolen) had 7 gears and reverse. :eek:

Bit of a gimmik if you ask me as the gear ratios were virtually the same :confused:

I've got 6 gears in my Civic. Only really use it when going over 50. You soon get used to 6th being next to reverse. Try a Type R gear box though, and they are even closer :eek: biggest problem on those, is people dropping from 6th to 4th at around 80mph and getting 2nd. Engine goes over 10,000 rpm and CABOOM :LOL:

ive got 6 gears on my galaxy,great for cruising but doesnt get used much.

Ive got 6 gears on my vaux vivaro and its great to use especially on long journeys, and the fuel guage hardley moves and you save a lot of money on fuel, especially as the price of diesel is allways going up. :D

My car has a 6 speed box on it, and I use it on most journeys, especially on the Mway, where it keeps the fuel economy right up. 50 mpg from a 2.2l turbo diesel :)

We have a LWB sprinter van at work which has a 6 speed box. It's like driving with a 5 speed box, with only using 1st gear to get the thing moving from stationary to about 5mph.

Sponsored Links
Back