Leave it on or turn it off?

I

imamartian

I have just bought a netgear DG834GT - is it designed to be left switched on 24/7? Is it wise to turn it off when i'm not using my pc?
It gets warm after use, can they overheat?

Sponsored Links
I have just bought a netgear DG834GT - is it designed to be left switched on 24/7? Is it wise to turn it off when i'm not using my pc?
It gets warm after use, can they overheat?

i have a DG834pn and i turn it off with the computer several times a day no probs

Sponsored Links
Personally leave it on, all the netgear stuff i own gets warm but nothing major, only thing i would recommend is to turn it off and back on again once a month as sometimes some netgear stuff starts acting bizarre i have discovered as after about a month or 2 of being left on constantly

I switch my router off every night along with the computer - only cos I'm paranoid about fire.

So I'm not the only paranoid one then! :LOL: Yeah, the plug gets hot that's why I switch it off at night. I think the IP address changes every time it gets switched off too (handy if your IP is banned by any forum!! :LOL: ).

Better to be safe than sorry is my motto - especially with where our smoke alarm is cited - I'd be dead and frazzled before the bloomin thing went off if my PC caught fire!

I would turn it off, as i do everything TV's, Sky, Monitors etc. The only thing i leave on are clocks etc...

As well as minimising the risk of fire, you also are doing your bit for climate change (please don't shoot me, i'm not an environmentalist!)

So I'm not the only paranoid one then! :LOL: Yeah, the plug gets hot that's why I switch it off at night. I think the IP address changes every time it gets switched off too (handy if your IP is banned by any forum!! :LOL: ).

Better to be safe than sorry is my motto - especially with where our smoke alarm is cited - I'd be dead and frazzled before the bloomin thing went off if my PC caught fire!

You are joking - about the plug - surely? :eek:

You are joking - about the plug - surely? :eek:

As most routers are now supplied with the plug-in type of transformer, which gets warm, I think Alison meant that the transformer which is plugged directly into the mains socket gets warm and not a seperate 13amp plug top.

As cable DSL modems are meant to be left on 24/7 I see no reason, except for a small lecky bill, not to leave any ADSL router on.
My Orange Livebox is always on but that is partly because of the 2nd phone line which comes in via the box.

Sorry, yeah, the transformer plug thing gets pretty warm - as it does on my speakers and mobile charger, etc. Didn't mean to give anyone heart failure!! :LOL: :LOL:

I switch my computer off completely unless I'm downloading something and I might let it run all night, but I don't do that very often cos I lie awake worrying!

Stupid really when I'm terrible for leaving the TV in the bedroom on standby cos I can't be bothered crawling out of me cosy bed to switch it off.

I think forums use your hostname, supplied by ISP and maybe even your email address to stop you signing up again, though it's not fool proof! You're right you do tend to get a new IP each time your routers reset / switched on / off, which for most people isn't a problem but if you wanted to connect to your pc at home remotely from the office for example you need to check you ip every time you switch back on.

Sponsored Links
Back