Leaving house empty in winter water and heating query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

This is probably a stupid question but I will leaving the house vacant for a few weeks in winter and I have been advised to turn the water off at the mains.

If I turn the water off can I leave the oil fired central heating to come on at intervals? Or does turning the water off mean the central heating will not work and would it be dangerous to leave it on?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hi

This is probably a stupid question but I will leaving the house vacant for a few weeks in winter and I have been advised to turn the water off at the mains.

If I turn the water off can I leave the oil fired central heating to come on at intervals? Or does turning the water off mean the central heating will not work and would it be dangerous to leave it on?

Thanks!

Turning off the water will have no effect on the oil fired central heating

Also, some people have been known to leave the loft hatch open slightly if leaving the heating on timed whilst away on winter hols, as it helps to stop any pipework from freezing in the loft. :)

Thanks for the info but I've just come up with another concern!
If I turn the water off and leave the central heating on, what about the fact that the central heating heats the water too? Does this have any impact on the system?

Thanks again!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back