LED downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Ive been looking but cant find any info on the LED lights to replace the halogens? are they a straight swap? i.e same connector, no need to replace transformer etc.... any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Joseph

Sponsored Links
easy, just check out your favorite search engine, i did, first one on the list is this

these these oh and this

silly qusetion, what do you want them for? as led lights are good but not that bright

I even found a diy changing colour led light, with instructions (need electronic knowledge though)

Sponsored Links
Well - you can get infra-red LEDs, so I suppose that counts as heat.

And high-power LED lasers will burn things.

But I actually meant "heat - lack of".

Any-one used these? cant see them giving of much light.....but they do look alright for decorative purposes

i have and they dont....... yet, but very good for deorative purposes

ban-all-sheds said:
Odd - the ones for torches are intensely bright...

Yes they are, but would you put a torch in your ceiling?

I understand what you are saying, but also an ordainairy torch is bright compared to say a 40 w lamp. but a 40 watt lamp can light a room a torch cant. I can't think of the right word but they dont have the "insert right word here"

Cheers for those links,

the reason im interested is the heat problem, ive just got one of those fancy temperature guns. The difference in temp between the insulated roof and around the downlights is around 4-5 degrees and its not even winter yet!!! it could be very cold in winter. brrrrrrr.

Thanks again, if i get some i'll let you know how it goes.

Well - you can get infra-red LEDs, so I suppose that counts as heat.

And high-power LED lasers will burn things.

But I actually meant "heat - lack of".

WoW! thank you so much for Led Lights, i really appreciate it! and i just got my lights for the gauges right now, so hopefully i will have time to go out and get them done.
alright so now i bought the cubby hole light, lol but i don’t know how to install it, i will make a search to see if n e one did it, thnx guyswill show pix when done![/color]

I understand what you are saying, but also an ordainairy torch is bright compared to say a 40 w lamp. but a 40 watt lamp can light a room a torch cant. I can't think of the right word but they dont have the "insert right word here"
It's all about how the light is spread, a torch is built to provide a narrow beam (even narrower than the downlighters that BAS hates). Great for seeing what is in the beam but bad for seeing anything else (a lot of human perception is relative, if one spot is lit up very brightly our eyes will adjust and everything else will look darker).

There are some very powerfull LEDs out there now, the problem is the good stuff is expensive and there is lots of cheap crap that comes nowhere close to it's supposed output.

There are some very powerfull LEDs out there now, the problem is the good stuff is expensive and there is lots of cheap crap that comes nowhere close to it's supposed output.
Bit like this decade (nearly) old post ;)

Now use LED GU10s and the light is very good, gone from 150w to 12w in one room :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back