LED Lights - Variable Levels Interfering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two rooms with different LED lights which are on the same ring main power supply but controlled with different switches. Each LED light has the ability to change the brightness depending on how rapidly you switch on/off/on/off the light, so some sort of stepped/latched function. One of the lights intermittently doesn't switch on but the problem appears to be solved by switching on and off the light in the other room. This isn't a simple logic problem as most of the time the lights operate independently as you would expect and they worked fine before installing the LED lights.

The light that is acting odd also has a remote control, so has the ability to be controlled through some sort of radio signal and through blipping the switch.

At the moment my current thought is that there is some sort of spike or other interference sent around the ring main which creates a signal or a state to have the lights in an OFF setting. By flicking the other lights, this then pings another signal around and allows operation. Is this a reasonable idea?

If so, would a ferrite on the light's wires help?

Any other suggestions?

Sponsored Links
I also have a light which every so often with not work with the light switch, but since rare we use the light switch, we normally use voice commands, so never tried to cure it.

I have also had some other lights switches, when I had two they worked well, when I increased to five started to get problems, and when I removed three the remaining two have worked faultless.

I have wondered about spikes, and I do have two SPD's fitted, but I don't know how you could test. I just fitted a different make for three switches and all now seems to work OK.

Lights are normally set out as radials not ring finals, and I suppose they could act as an aerial, and we have so many lamps where either the bulb or a relay or a switch is wireless activated that I suppose we have to expect some interference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back