Led lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a timer that switches our outside lights on and off, however if using led bulbs, they remain on when the timer switches them off, but at a dimmed level. I’ve read a great deal about this issue but looking for an alternative to keep using incandescent bulbs. Any suggestions for a remedy or recommendations for a replacement timer? It’s a spur model, not plug in one.

Sponsored Links
That time switch has double pole isolation but only single pole switching by the timer

upload_2020-11-18_10-1-23.png

There may be a spark suppressor connected across the switch and if there is then there will be leakage current when the switch is OFF which will be enough energy for the LEDs to glow dimly.

Another thread about LEDs glowing can be found HERE

Does it matter? a capacitor across the supply can stop the light showing dim and in a bedroom that is what I would do, but the power is still being used, so outside would not bother.

Sponsored Links
If you dismantle the timer and post photos of the circuit board we made be able to suggest fixes.
Obviously don’t do this unless you feel confident about putting it back together safely!

Does it matter? a capacitor across the supply can stop the light showing dim and in a bedroom that is what I would do, but the power is still being used, so outside would not bother.
The power that is being used is the product of the voltage across the led and its current (and phase angle). With the capacitor the voltage across the LEDs will be much lower which means the power used will be much lower.

The power that is being used is the product of the voltage across the led and its current (and phase angle). With the capacitor the voltage across the LEDs will be much lower which means the power used will be much lower.
Don't think you have thought this through, if you need to drop the voltage using a load capacitor then you must include the power used by the load capacitor, so the combined power leaked will increase, it is very little in either case, and not really worth worrying about, if the time switch needs to pass 10 mA to work then that's how much it needs to pass, and adding capacitors may stop the LED lighting but it will not stop the 10 mA.

Capacitors don’t use power. The current through them is 90 degrees out of phase to the voltage. They have a power factor of zero.

It’s a really old switch, was here when we bought the house 18 years ago, it’s made by smiths. On the back is a sticker with ZV360 on it, which I’m assuming is the model number. There are 3 wires, blue from L1, yellow from common and red from L2. It also says ‘not for use with fluorescent lamps’ ,so I guess that’s the clincher, I think best course of action is to replace it with a modern, LED version.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back