Led strip with motion sensors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
This is my first post so please be gentle.
Has anyone any experience in connecting up two led motion sensors to a couple of led strips ? I'm looking to do an led strip on both sides of the stairway so it pleases the wife. The plan is to have a sensor at the bottom of the stairs and one at the top. I've purchased a kit that contains two strips, ac/dc supply, one motion sensor and Y piece to connect both strips on the output of the sensor. This works fine out the box. If I purchase a second sensor, I'm thinking I connect the output of the second sensor to the output of the first sensor and that should be it in theory. But something tells me this is not correct as one sensor would then in effect put a voltage (12V) into the other sensor too. Any ideas please ?

Sponsored Links
But something tells me this is not correct as one sensor would then in effect put a voltage (12V) into the other sensor too. Any ideas please ?
Would that matter? It will only do it when the light is supposed to be on.

However, is it a good idea to have a stair light operated by a PIR?

Its not actually the stair light, thats still the mains switch on the wall. This will be a strip on each side stair height as it were. Both strip and the sensor is 12v. My concern is that when one sensor operates (either at the top or bottom), then connecting it the way I think, it will input a voltage to the output of the other sensor that may or may not be triggered at the time. Initially when someone walks up, the bottom one will trigger and output 12v on to the strip and also onto the other sensor at the same time.( which at this time will not be on) but around half way up the stairs the upstairs sensor will trigger and also output 12V at the same time. Seems like a silly question, will sensor no.2 accept a voltage to its output when its not on and how will it react when it comes on but there is already 12v on the line ? Just gotta get my head around it before I wire it up.

Sponsored Links
Better to have two mains PIRs and switch the 230v input to the driver. Mains PIRs are mostly able to operate in multiple environments.
I’ve never tried it with 12v PIRs. Doing that would mean the driver will be energised all the time and I don’t like that concept. But the 12v output should work, it depends on how the output circuit is designed.
PS I guess your 12v PIR has an adjustable on period?

Last edited:
Its not actually the stair light, thats still the mains switch on the wall.
Ok.

This will be a strip on each side stair height as it were. Both strip and the sensor is 12v. My concern is that when one sensor operates (either at the top or bottom), then connecting it the way I think, it will input a voltage to the output of the other sensor that may or may not be triggered at the time. Initially when someone walks up, the bottom one will trigger and output 12v on to the strip and also onto the other sensor at the same time.( which at this time will not be on) but around half way up the stairs the upstairs sensor will trigger and also output 12V at the same time. Seems like a silly question, will sensor no.2 accept a voltage to its output when its not on and how will it react when it comes on but there is already 12v on the line ? Just gotta get my head around it before I wire it up.
Ah, I did not realise that the lights were top and bottom and being on at different times.

In that case, why do you want to connect the sensor outputs?

The plan is to have a sensor at the bottom of the stairs ( to aid walking up ) and a sensor at the top of the the stairs ( to aid going down in the night or early morning as its dark). Therefore both sensors will have to be connected to the light strips. I'm guessing around halfway of going upstairs , then the top sensor will also kick in and similar for when going downstairs. Its this connecting of sensor outputs that has me baffled.

Do you want all the lights to be switched on at the same time by either the bottom or top sensor?

Yes both sides should come on giving it a nice visual effect. Thats why theres a splitter in the pack so the output of the sensor is split to feed the two sides. I suppose I could try and fit a diode on each sensor output so it doesnt "accept " the input 12V of the other sensor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back